Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 11:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm 12

Started by AzureSky, December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Loved "It's a Suzie store" and the way it totally seems to be heading for a Seinfeld-style finale.

Fuckit, still enjoying it. Although the shop assistant seemed a bit... Californian? Do Georgians really put up with shitty treatment like that out of politeness?

wrec

Seems unreasonable to give a 76 year old man a hard time about needing a shite.

Mr Faineant

I really liked Larry on the Bill Simmons podcast. I feel like it is rare to hear from real Larry, rather than the show Larry - he seems to always appear in character. I don't really like Bill Simmons, but for no good reason. I just don't like the way he talks...I find it too something, I'm not sure what but it's irritating.

hazymayo

So the semi viral clip from a few months back of Jerry saying he and Larry were working on something that is related to the Seinfeld finale must have been referencing the final Curb episode?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Mr Faineant on February 14, 2024, 12:33:34 AMI really liked Larry on the Bill Simmons podcast. I feel like it is rare to hear from real Larry, rather than the show Larry - he seems to always appear in character. I don't really like Bill Simmons, but for no good reason. I just don't like the way he talks...I find it too something, I'm not sure what but it's irritating.

Have you ever listened to one of his Rewatchables episodes? Good grief.

Maurice Yeatman

Richard Lewis said in a recent interview (Times iirc) that he'd been given a storyline for this season that would likely get him cancelled, but that it was too late for him to care. Probably a little exaggeration but I can't wait to see what it is.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on February 15, 2024, 01:26:21 AMHave you ever listened to one of his Rewatchables episodes? Good grief.

No I haven't, it's bad? I kind of want to hate listen now...

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Mr Faineant on February 16, 2024, 10:57:20 AMNo I haven't, it's bad? I kind of want to hate listen now...

It's just amazing that someone with such ignorance about cinema has such a successful podcast. It's hard to untangle his lack of knowledge because it's so profound, but even the films he loves are woefully under-researched. Imdb trivia section journalism.

The embarrassing thing is that his cohorts (specifically Chris and Sean) have to often hide their clear awkwardness at his ignorance because he pays their salaries. So it has a weird energy.

If it has subtitles and is b/w he likely won't have heard of it at all (with some exceptions)

bobloblaw

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on February 15, 2024, 02:45:56 AMRichard Lewis said in a recent interview (Times iirc) that he'd been given a storyline for this season that would likely get him cancelled, but that it was too late for him to care. Probably a little exaggeration but I can't wait to see what it is.

curb your, erm, enthusiasm on that one: one review of the season referred to a disappointing trans storyline, so it's probably that

Frank Wank

Pre-emptive outrage against a show you haven't seen.

That's what happened to Chris Morris.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 16, 2024, 12:30:14 PMcurb your, erm, enthusiasm on that one: one review of the season referred to a disappointing trans storyline, so it's probably that
Oh. Route 1. I suppose something good and humane could come out of that but I was hoping for something more self-immolating for LD and others.

Blue Jam

Quote from: amoral on February 13, 2024, 03:58:10 AMGreat interview with Larry on the latest Conan podcast. He's a very charming and interesting guy.

Big fan of that podcast and enjoyed this one a lot. Loved the idea of The Party Steward and Conan asking the very good question about Larry being in the US Army Reserve "because I just can't imagine you in a job where people tell you what to do".

Spoiler alert
Conan to appear a guest star at some point in season 12
[close]

Kelvin

Quote from: amoral on February 13, 2024, 03:58:10 AMGreat interview with Larry on the latest Conan podcast. He's a very charming and interesting guy.

The screening anecdote was pure Curb.

Available below if you don't want to hear the whole podcast.

Bingo Fury

A pissed-off Leon asking Larry if he'd been high-fiving the lawn jockey on his way in to the house got the biggest laugh of the show from me.

I've just got through rewatching the last season, and so many of the best lines are Leon's.

Blue Jam

Emmett stole the show for me:

Spoiler alert
"That little statue I got from the church? That's the last thing I'm ever stealing."
[close]

Oh Leon, you've got competition as Curb's own Kramer. MOAR EMMETT pls.

wrec

Episode 3 was virtually laugh-free for me.

Mr Faineant

Poor Richard Lewis. Starting to look like the Scream mask.

bobloblaw

Quote from: wrec on February 19, 2024, 10:06:25 AMEpisode 3 was virtually laugh-free for me.

Agreed, the tone was off. All wall-to-wall shouting. totally charmless, sadly.

mjwilson

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on February 15, 2024, 01:26:21 AMHave you ever listened to one of his Rewatchables episodes? Good grief.

I've heard Bill Simmons on the Prestige TV podcast and he's just terrible. Too busy thinking of what he's going to say next to listen to his co-hosts.

neveragain

Quote from: wrec on February 19, 2024, 10:06:25 AMEpisode 3 was virtually laugh-free for me.

I thought it was an improvement on the prior one.

It seemed like a setting up episode, with the sperm donor and Richard Lewis's will.

wrec

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 19, 2024, 01:16:36 PMAgreed, the tone was off. All wall-to-wall shouting. totally charmless, sadly.

That scene with Ted and Cheryl being a case in point. In every interview the cast talk about what a great time they have shooting it which I think is part of the problem. Great fun to shout at and insult your mates but they don't always get funny lines or performances out of it.

Cheryl really gets on my nerves lately. She was a great straight man to Larry in the early seasons but now her character is just reduced to being appalled at him on cue. And (admittedly mixing in IRL stuff here) I can't help thinking "you're very judgemental for someone married to a far right steroid-abusing anti-vaxxer".

Quote from: neveragain on February 19, 2024, 05:22:01 PMI thought it was an improvement on the prior one.

There were a few annoying clangers in that one but it didn't give me the feeling of grim emptiness this one did.

Blue Jam

I enjoyed episode 3: Jeff quietly admitting "I'd love a Thera-Gun"; the 19th hole and the detail of Leon eating waffle fries while everyone else eats something healthy; "Whaddaya got, three sperm?" and did no-one else enjoy

Spoiler alert
Sienna Miller saying "Pretty good huh?" and Larry replying "Yeah, it's pretty good..." and starting to mouth "PRETTEH, PRETTEH, PRETTEH GOOD" but stopping when he realised the moment had passed
[close]

?

neveragain

thugler

I enjoyed the third one, but it's far from peak curb. It's in too much of a rush to get from a to b. The situations are fine, just the sort of thing that would be great in older eps, but the scenes are rushed through and a little quick to get to the shouting.

Blue Jam

Loved the

Spoiler alert
daft wee fluffy dog
[close]

obviously.

Didn't Ted Danson come out as bald in season 11? Why isn't Larry angry that he's wearing a toupee again, like the chef they originally hired for Bobo's?

mr. logic

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 20, 2024, 11:21:08 PMLoved the

Spoiler alert
daft wee fluffy dog
[close]

obviously.

Didn't Ted Danson come out as bald in season 11? Why isn't Larry angry that he's wearing a toupee again, like the chef they originally hired for Bobo's?

He just did it because he was acting in the TV show as one of Larry's relatives didn't he? So it was like costume.

her?

I thought episode 2 was the weakest so far but 3 wasn't much better. Like others have said, the scenes with Cheryl and Ted were lifeless and sadly Richard Lewis can't contribute much. Vince Vaughan can never seem to decide whether to play his character smart or dumb and I always forget he's not supposed to be Vince Vaughan.

It's still been better than that awful spite store season though.

Mr Faineant

Off topic, but I liked the Conan podcast. Never listened to it before, but have since listened to a couple more. Conan is quite lucky to work with, apparently, his absolute biggest fans.

Oh, Nobody

"You can't get someone pregnant when your sperm is in powdered milk form"

Richard Lewis looks like Mac and Me.

Larry loves his deaf Oscar winners, huh.

Leon still knocking it out the park "What is she, the cum police"

Tags: