Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis C.K.

Started by Artemis, January 18, 2007, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaatu!

"Ricky Gervais's favourite American stand-up" will apparently be on Richard and Judy in a few minutes. I assume it's Louis CK, but they didn't announce him by name.

Marv Orange

hes on Richard and Judy MK2 right now, bigging up Gervias....

ffogems

Well that was gloriously mental, with an abnormally t-shirted Madeley having a brief breakdown, as though 'Chris Rock' was a hypnosis trigger term for some small-scale display of demure psychosis. I'm guessing Gervais orchestrated that interview which is why his name came up so frequently. Still, was glad to see him as Louis CK deserves more recognition over here. Can't wait for Saturday.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't suppose anyone managed to record it did they?

NoSleep

That couldn't have gone worse if they'd have tried, and what they did try was shite.

Had that been my intro to Louis I would have shrugged him off.

boxofslice

Madeley really is a confused individual. Poor Louis, probably would have been better suited to a late night chat on Ross if it was still on.

On a separate note, nice to see Emma Bunton. One of the few women I would leave my other half for.

actwithoutwords

Ah, Louis CK's account of the gigs at the weekend is interesting. Thank fuck I didn't go on the Friday then. It also explains why Barry Murphy made a specific appeal for quiet and respect before his set on the Saturday.

As per lardboy's suggestion, shall we say all 'whores who wish to pop in for a drink convene in:
QuoteBen Crouch's Tavern 
From about 6 o'clock onwards?
If you want my number (for this, or indeed any other, sexier reasons) PM me.

Whug Baspin

Saw him last night, really enjoyed it. It's a lovely little venue. It's strange seeing someone in person when the only experience you've had of them is telly, it almost took a while to settle into enjoying it. It is genuinly upsetting that he is now divorced as he is such a likable guy and he does seem quite fucked up by it. Not going to spoil any of the material, there were little touches I'd heard, but a lot was new. The tickets for the first few nights were cheaper than the rest, I'm not sure if this was becuase he was trying new stuff or still trying to figure out the set, it didn't feel completely polished and ended quite abruptly, but I guess leaving the audience wanting more is the trick.

ffogems

His most recent blog entry from here http://www.louisck.net/ talks about his opening night in London and his appearance on Richard and Judy -

QuoteWell I did my first show in London at the Soho theater and it was great. Really great. At least I thought so. The audience hated it. Just kidding. I killed, they laughed and applauded and bla bla and who cares, right? See? Way more interesting when you bomb.
The staff at the SOHO are really really nice young folks and they were good to me. The audience was smart and enthusiastic. I am glad because I'll be there for the next two weeks.

Yesterday I appeared on a show here called "Richard and Judy". It's like Regis and Kelley. It's on at 5pm and mostly housewives and prisoners watch it. I was reminded about 48 times that you can't swear on the show. Also the "Judy" part of the show was on vacation, so filling in for her was Baby Spice, who now goes by Emma, and . The interview starts with Ricky Gervais sending me a personal message, which was really cool....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD138DiaiQM[/youtube]

Awkward at the end there. I don't know what his problem was with Chris Rock. I was told after that Chris was on his show and Richard thought he was rude. I can guarantee he wasn't. Chris is a very courteous almost old fashioned nice young black man. Also he's a lot funnier than this Richard cunt with his shitty beer joke.

After my segment they spent ten minutes making fun of the way the Prime Minister dresses. What kind of poeple are these?? who gives a shit what a politician wears?

LCK

Marvellous.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quotethis Richard cunt
Hee hee...

Chris Rock has always come across as really courteous and personable in the interviews I've seen, so God knows what this Richard cunt's problem is.

Marv Orange

QuoteWhen Richard was asked in an interview who the most annoying guest was, he replied "Chris Rock! He was an ********. He wouldn't shake hands and as soon as we started the interview he turned his back to us and started talking to Ben Stiller [who was with him] about their plans for that night. I don't know if he thought he was being funny, but he was unbelievably rude. I wish it had been a live interview because after two minutes I would have said: 'Look, mate, why don't you just piss off and go and have a coffee because you're being a pain in the neck and we'd much rather talk to Ben Stiller.'"

QuoteWe've had two utter disasters on This Morning. Andie MacDowell wouldn't even make eye contact and was incredibly snotty. Chris Rock was on with Ben Stiller and simply talked over my questions. A complete and utter cock. I hate him.

Artemis

Agghh, why don't the Soho Theatre pick up the god damn phone? I want to exchange my ticket on 2nd for a later date because I can't make it on Saturday, and I know it's possible because they emailed me back telling me it would cost £1.50, but they said I have to phone, and they never answer!!

I can't wait for his new DVD later this year (different from both Shameless and the stuff he's doing in London, kind of in-the-middle). I put on Shameless a couple of weeks ago and my housemate took everything Louis said at face value and was utterly appalled that I was sitting there roaring with laughter. How some people don't get that there are things that aren't supposed to be taken literally is beyond me, really. I pointed it out but she didn't get it, so I left her with the impression that I find a man worrying if he's addicted to duck vaginas and vocally berating his little girl to be very funny indeed, which of course it is, but mainly because it's wrong.

Ooh, Richard's got a potty mouth, doesn't he?*

If that's true - and as we all know, Richard Madeley is an incredibly honest man - then I can understand his annoyance. He's still an idiot, though.

* I love it when Richard swears in interviews - he's like a geography teacher trying to show off what a maverick he is by saying "fuck" in front of the class.

Quote from: Garam on July 18, 2008, 03:28:10 PM
Fantastic hour-long interview with CK from XM Radio here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u1mvd9

That interview posted by Garam is really interesting, particularly because it's a stand-up comedian talking honestly about his craft in a non bulshitty way. Also, the interviewer (who is he?) seems to really get what Louis - and stand-up in general - is all about.

Louis' praise of Woody Allen's sublime stand-up inspired me to listen to him again. Here's a great clip:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-DHWCAews[/youtube]

Inevitably, some of the cultural references may be slightly bemusing these days, and his "mirror date" gag is perhaps a tad predictable, but this is still some of the best stand-up ever in the history of the medium.

Louis' veneration of Bill Cosby intrigues me, as I'm not really that familiar with his live work. I know that he's massively respected by most good US comedians, so I really have to check him out. As the interviewer says, it's difficult to believe that the cosy, mainstream Cosby of the 1980s is generally considered as one of the most ground-breaking stand-up's of all time.

Any Cosby fans care to point me in the direction of some of his best routines?

Anyway, I'm seeing Louis tomorrow night in London, and I can't wait.

When has a Chris Rock interview ever NOT caused major embarrassment for months afterwards? I can think of at least three other non-consecutive occasions.....

chocky909

Quote from: Whug Baspin on July 31, 2008, 01:42:53 PM
Saw him last night, really enjoyed it. It's a lovely little venue. It's strange seeing someone in person when the only experience you've had of them is telly, it almost took a while to settle into enjoying it. It is genuinly upsetting that he is now divorced as he is such a likable guy and he does seem quite fucked up by it. Not going to spoil any of the material, there were little touches I'd heard, but a lot was new. The tickets for the first few nights were cheaper than the rest, I'm not sure if this was becuase he was trying new stuff or still trying to figure out the set, it didn't feel completely polished and ended quite abruptly, but I guess leaving the audience wanting more is the trick.

Also went to the Wednesday gig (with Garam no less, HIYA GARAM!!!) and it were ace. Shorter than I would have liked and with a few older bits peppered throughout but pretty awesome nevertheless. He did some great stuff about the stage he was on being still half set up for the play that was on before him it was quite heavily about his two daughters.

But did you notice Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Alexander were there? God, he (I'm 99% sure it was him - I didn't turn to look behind) was laughing just a little too hard wasn't he? I could sense an awkwardness in the audience despite everyone loving it. Probably coked up a little (allegedly). Anyway, I got a nice boot of the gig which I'll share once the tour is over and his laugh isn't too audible on it .

Roll on Saturday then.

Gooseboy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 31, 2008, 11:37:37 PM
and his "mirror date" gag is perhaps a tad predictable

"Mirror date" predictable???  That's some fanfuckingtastic misdirection if you ask me.

But I suppose you knew Spacey was Soze by the opening credits of The Usual Suspects.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 31, 2008, 11:37:37 PMAny Cosby fans care to point me in the direction of some of his best routines?

To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With - a masterful 26 minute routine.

I went along last night - there were many people in the audience laughing too hard, as if they had something to prove.

As for CK, he's got a great physical presence and delivery, but his material can be pretty pedestrian, can't it? Fat people are fat, people can be inane and vain etc, without the deft wording and handling of Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld. His best stuff by far was about his daughters - an original and cathartic take on the kids material.

So, now I call him Louis OK.

mister_enmity

Just a heads up: Louis CK will be on Loose Ends in less than half an hour.

Garam

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on August 01, 2008, 09:42:53 AM
there were many people in the audience laughing too hard, as if they had something to prove.

How the christ do you know that? Maybe it was the first time they had seen him, and they weren't as familiar with his style of comedy as you are? First time I saw him I was laughing loud and painfully, and that was from a few youtube clips, not a live performance. The idea of so many people simultaneously faking hard laughter throughout is a little unlikely, and it's more than likely you're just being a little too supercilious with your criticism/contempt. You got something to prove?

edit: hiya Chockers! Thanx for keeping me company babez xx

edit edit: the interviewer on the XM Radio hour is a guy called Ron Bennington, who I think is from NYC.

Artemis

I hope all the Whores that went tonight had a great time. I'm expecting a full report. I couldn't exchange my ticket in the end (due to booking it through the wrong website, who can't facilitate exchanges - note: never book through Ticketweb), so I've lost out there. I'll try and see him on one of the later dates. Despite Gervais' best efforts, apparently there's plenty of availability.

Beck

Quote from: Garam on August 02, 2008, 09:46:17 PM
edit edit: the interviewer on the XM Radio hour is a guy called Ron Bennington, who I think is from NYC.

Hmm. I'm clearly never going to understand the difference between U.S. accents. He sounds like Artie Lange, though.

Little Hoover

Sorry Artemis, we've all taken an oath not to utter a word of what went on last night.

actwithoutwords

Anything that went on last night is sub judice until we find out which 'whore nicked Marvin's wallet in the pub.

Little Hoover

Seriously? Was this in the pub after the gig? Or are you making a joke that I've just ruined?

chocky909

Don't worry L'il Hoover, we left Marvin (not Marv) and his mate at Ben Crouch's Tavern and I'm pretty sure he had his wallet.

Marvin

Nice to see a few of you before the gig, sorry I couldn't make it and sorry I didn't say goodbye, that was because I was going to follow you lot of the pub but did indeed discover I didn't have my wallet.

My money's on ffogems, quite literally.

(I didn't find it but I've cancelled my cards and all is relatively well)

chocky909

Shit. I didn't know that, sorry. That's shit.

Marvin

Quote from: chocky909 on August 03, 2008, 02:39:47 PM
Shit. I didn't know that, sorry. That's shit.

Cheers, not to worry though - I think it must've dropped out of my pocket sitting on those high chairs or something, but I only lost £10 and my library card which I need, bank cards etc all been cancelled and resent out.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat to chocky, but nice to see you again.

Artemis

WHAT WAS THE GIG LIKE, YOU CUNTS?!!!