Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 04, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Resi 4 wasn't really horror, despite the surface appearances. It's hard to be scared when you're playing as a roundhouse kicking badass (even if he's got a silly haircut.)

Well, admittedly, I completed it enough times to end up taking down trolls with a knife and pistol for bragging rights but that fist time when all the...
Spoiler alert
villagers went berserk 'UN FORESTERO! MATALO!' and you first heard that chainsaw revving...
[close]
...brrrr...I cacked me grundigs.

Whenever I go shopping, my brain still wastes no opportunity to rub my poverty in with a 'Not enough caaaaash!' Cunt brain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nothing about Resi 5 was scary. It just has no sense of atmosphere. Having the tribes coming after you was scary in the sense of imminent death, but there was no tension. Even the lickers were just...meh.

It is a terrific action game, though.

Spiteface

Project Needlemouse has been unveiled.  It's Sonic the Hedgehog 4~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvBsj2-TidA

Promising.  Classic 2D elements with PROPER BADNIKS, as opposed to them mecha things that appeared in more recent Sonics.  Only thing I have a reservation with, is that Sonic himself seemingly hasn't been given a radical overhaul.  When the initial announcement of Project Needlemouse was made last year, I was expecting Sonic to be redesigned to look closer to his 16-bit incarnation.  That's not important if this turns out well.  It's going to be an episodic download thingy, with Episode 1 out in the Summer, and I cannot wait.

Consignia

I've got a nasty Sonic Rush like feeling about Sonic 4. The advance/rush games don't play much like the mega drive originals despite being 2D, which doesn't bode well. Sonic has broken my heart too many times for me to go rushing back to him.

Spiteface

I've posted this before, I think.  Still bears repeating, because it's kinda true most of the time:

I've not played the Rush games, so my nearest point of reference is the 2D daytime levels of Sonic unleashed, which I enjoyed greatly.  I'd love Sonic 4 to be the one that breaks The Cycle though.

Sega definitely seem to be deeming this a "reboot" of sorts.  Among other things In a Q&A released at midnight, the idea is that this actually follows on from "Sonic & Knuckles", but is a new story.  So, maybe it's set between S&K and Sonic Adventure 1 (the game I tended to consider as Sonic 4 anyway). Hopefully that means we get a minimal cast for this as well.

Still very early days though.  For all I know this could turn out to be a disaster of Sonic '06 proportions.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Relic the Hedgehog, more like.

Sonic the Vadgehog, more like.

(I really like Sonic Rush Adventure on the DS.)

AsparagusTrevor

I loved the Mega Drive Sonic games, I know Sonic 3 & Knuckles back to front and still play them from time to time. Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush I really couldn't get into, they just didn't have the right feel and I got sick of the levels having so many bottomless pits, that was never the case in the classic Sonics. The 3D games I didn't like at all, the few I played. I have little faith in Sega getting this right, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Shade

Anyone here playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat?

Its the third in the Stalker series, set right after Shadow of Chernobyl.
From what I can tell theres only 3 maps, but the size of them means there's potential for hours of fun exploring and wandering around occasionaly shooting monsters and dogs.
The main thing I like is the side quests are a bit more detailed now and have a bit more back story to them(like the Stalker who is addicted to haemoglobin), plus it's alot less buggy compared to the first two games. The AI is supposed to have been improved, but I haven't seen much difference. Probably because the monsters are meant to come out at night, and I'm usually asleep in the big rusty ship.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shade on February 08, 2010, 06:11:44 PM
Anyone here playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat?...
Not yet - but I'll certainly be picking up a copy; only played the previous one but loved it and the reviews of this one have been impressive.

Although one review I read said the AI is pretty much the same, a couple went into quite a bit of detail how it's greatly improved - such as human enemies ransacking dead bodies for better equipment to use.

samadriel

Quote from: Shade on February 08, 2010, 06:11:44 PM
Anyone here playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat?

Its the third in the Stalker series, set right after Shadow of Chernobyl.
From what I can tell theres only 3 maps, but the size of them means there's potential for hours of fun exploring and wandering around occasionaly shooting monsters and dogs.
The main thing I like is the side quests are a bit more detailed now and have a bit more back story to them(like the Stalker who is addicted to haemoglobin), plus it's alot less buggy compared to the first two games. The AI is supposed to have been improved, but I haven't seen much difference. Probably because the monsters are meant to come out at night, and I'm usually asleep in the big rusty ship.

There are two or three other maps, but they're little underground type ones.  I'd say the AI has improved, yes; the dogs are a little less schizophrenic in their flee/attack patterns, besieging buildings full of bandits/mercs is a major undertaking now (gotta do a bit of planning and be very mindful of cover, or they'll mow you down), and the bloodsuckers are very powerful this time around (thankfully they're not invulnerable while cloaked like in Clear Sky -- that was fucking stupid -- but they're really good at staying out of your line of fire).  Burers and chimaeras are scary as fuck if they catch you unawares, especially on the appropriately rare occasions that they just spawn out in the countryside (they're usually part of missions).  Enemies don't have laser-guided grenade accuracy like in CS, thank fuck, nor can they see you through the high swamp reeds (well, mutants probably can, but that's fair enough).

Yeah, I like the interesting stuff that can happen on some quests, and I like what they've done with weapon/armour modding, and the new medications.  I really like what they've done with anomalies, although I think the lack of scattered SHOC-style ones does make the countryside feel a bit too safe sometimes.  Anyway, CoP is the game Clear Sky should've been, and it's a shame its success will probably by hampered by the way CS burned STALKER fans.

Shade

I agree with you about the anamoly fields, artifact hunting was one of the few good things about Clear Sky, but it would be nice to have a few lone ones scattered here and there to keep you on your toes.

Seems they have improved the controller monster as well. I wandered into a cave only to be yelled at to get out, and then thrown around by his psychic powers. Awesome.

Good news that the underground levels are back, they were easily the scariest part of SoC.

Slaaaaabs

Very good mod out for Call Of Pripyat already called S.M.R.T.E.R. which tweaks a lot of stuff (check the list by scrolling down at the link) http://stalker.filefront.com/file/SMRTER_Pripyat;108615

VegaLA

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon sequel has been announced.
TBH after the succcess of CoD games I thought this francise had been laid to rest but I guess Ubisoft ain't going out like that.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22061/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Future-Soldier-Announced/

hoverdonkey

I am delighted at that news. I have always absolutely loved the GR series

Depressed Beyond Tables

What is the most satisfying sim management type game for PS3 worth buying? Something you can really get into.

falafel

Y'know I'm not sure there is one... Hmm...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Which is why it's so crucial PC gaming SURVIVES.

Depressed Beyond Tables

i have nothing against PC gaming I'm just looking for a decent sim game off friends.

VegaLA

Release date for Dead Rising 2: August 31st (here, Europe later)...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22090/Dead-Rising-2-launches-August-31st-in-NA/

...unusual but still, and Alan Wake finally has a date for release, May 18th. Well stack me!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22092/Alan-Wake-Receives-May-Release/

HappyTree

PC gaming would be more popular if it didn't knacker your PC. Games consoles are better because more often than not they just work. Plus there are only about 5 people in the world who prefer mouse and keyboard at a desk playing a game to sitting comfortably on the couch with a big TV and a wireless controller.

There, I said it. PC gaming is crap. Discuss :-D

Consignia

Quote from: HappyTree on February 12, 2010, 06:12:47 AM
Plus there are only about 5 people in the world who prefer mouse and keyboard at a desk playing a game to sitting comfortably on the couch with a big TV and a wireless controller.

Ahhh.... don't put it that way. It just leads to a chorus of PC gamers who have their PCs plugged into their main TV, and have an array of wireless devices plugged into it.

Pseudopath

Day-um. The new God of War III trailer has just been released and it looks incredible.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-chaos-god-of-war/61815

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: HappyTree on February 12, 2010, 06:12:47 AM
PC gaming would be more popular if it didn't knacker your PC. Games consoles are better because more often than not they just work. Plus there are only about 5 people in the world who prefer mouse and keyboard at a desk playing a game to sitting comfortably on the couch with a big TV and a wireless controller.

There, I said it. PC gaming is crap. Discuss :-D

That's true. All too often you get more than you bargained for when you install a game on a pc. Then again you can't hack into football manager games on a console to give yourself a million pounds.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you're playing a strategy sim the keyboard and mouse is your friend. I've had a few management games on consoles but the controls always get in the way. Isn't the mouse easier for first person shooters too? You'd have to get a light-gun or something to get anywhere near the same level of close control on a console.

samadriel

Controllers are inferior, clumsy shit for all first-person gaming (in fact, driving and fighting games are the only genres which I would say typically demand a controller; mouse/keyboard is equal or superior for just about everything else), and I've never bought that crap about how fabulous it is to be slumped on the couch with a screen in the distance; it was never that great in my console-gaming childhood, I'm not particularly impressed with it at my mate's place with his giant LCD and PS3, and I never pine for it when I'm playing a PC game.  In a decade plus of PC gaming, I can count on one hand the games that've been problematic to run*.  The console model has flourished not because consoles provide a better gaming experience, but because their games are more troublesome to pirate, and they're idiotproof to set up.  The former has nothing to do with me, and, as I'm not an idiot, the latter is irrelevant.  Consoles are good for party games, that's about it.  Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but... console gaming is crap.

* Unless we include trying to run really old '80s/'90s stuff on a modern rig, but I've usually found a solution in the end -- I daresay I wouldn't be as successful trying to play a Master System cartridge in an X-Box 360...

HappyTree

Well I guess it's just what you're used to. I hate FPSes played with a mouse and keyboard. My left hand gets cramp with my fingers poised over the non intuitive at all and too spaced-out keys. Aiming with the right thumbstick has never been a problem. In fact I think it feels more like you're aiming a gun that way than it does just pointing on the screen with a mouse, easier though that may be.

MojoJojo

Quote from: samadriel on February 12, 2010, 11:17:56 AMThe console model has flourished not because consoles provide a better gaming experience, but because their games are more troublesome to pirate, and they're idiotproof to set up.  The former has nothing to do with me, and, as I'm not an idiot, the latter is irrelevant.  Consoles are good for party games, that's about it.  Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but... console gaming is crap.

Surely the fact consoles cost about a third of a gaming PC plays some part in it?
(Alhtough I agree piracy is probably the main issue)

Also I think while mouse is certianly more precise for FPS shooters, that's not always a good thing. It's great for frantic games like Quake and Unreal, but it would completly break something like Call Of Duty. Aiming shouldn't be as simple as clicking on something. IMO, obv.

Also, I don't want to shut myself away in the office when playing a game.

I stillplay PC games though, just mostly slow paced strategy/puzzle stuff.

Table Top Joe

I'm not sure about the aiming thing. The game itself should create the aiming difficultly not the method of controlling the game.

Also when it comes to PC gaming let's not forget the excellent mods you can get. Games like BF1942 and MTW 2 wouldn't be half as good without certain mods.

samadriel

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 12, 2010, 11:57:47 AM
Surely the fact consoles cost about a third of a gaming PC plays some part in it?
(Alhtough I agree piracy is probably the main issue)

It's inapt to compare the whole price of a gaming PC to the price of a console -- it's akin to bundling the cost of your TV and sound system into the price of your console.  If you have a PC, unless you're a loon with more money than sense, you'll use it for your everyday PC things as well as gaming.  The proper comparison should be between console prices and the parts needed to make a PC gaming-ready (basically a nice processor, a video card, and some extra RAM.  Maybe a bigger-than-average hard-drive).  With that in mind, you're paying around-about X-Box 360 prices -- if not lower -- for a gaming system that'll remain satisfactory as long as any console (if not longer; a typical gaming PC at the price-range I'm talking about will dwarf the capabilities of its contemporary console.  Do not be fooled by shits like Alienware, who sometimes overcharge by literally thousands of dollars and yet somehow remain in business).

QuoteAlso I think while mouse is certianly more precise for FPS shooters, that's not always a good thing. It's great for frantic games like Quake and Unreal, but it would completly break something like Call Of Duty. Aiming shouldn't be as simple as clicking on something. IMO, obv.

How could having responsive, accurate controls "break" Call of Duty?  What does that mean?  I played CoD4 on PC, and, while I found it generally pretty dull, I never thought, "this game could really be spiced up if only my input device was less suitable and perhaps supplemented by auto-aim".

QuoteAlso, I don't want to shut myself away in the office when playing a game.
I've never felt even slightly 'officey' playing a game just because the tools are the same; a controller doesn't make a game feel more 'game-like' to me.  Perhaps it's your preference for less 'visceral' PC games that gives you that feeling.  Not that I'm criticising you for your preference -- 'twitch FPSes' aren't my favourites either, I prefer stealth games and the odd RPG.  But I'm thinking you haven't played many or any PC shooters if you think having a better control method would break them.  Any game made too easy by your in-game avatar accurately carrying out your instructions is a pathetic specimen of 'fake difficulty'.

HappyTree: "non intuitive at all and too spaced-out keys"?  What on earth?  Do you mean the 'WASD' layout?  In what world are those keys 'spaced-out'?
Spoiler alert
Answer: In Dvorak-world!
[close]