Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blankety Blank - Dawson era

Started by Morrison Lard, November 15, 2013, 02:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrison Lard

Spotted this in me mate's telleh magazine while I was having a poo this morning-

10pm tonight, double bill of Les Dawson doing Blankety Blank. Brilliant.

Deanjam

Always liked Les on this. Mind you, I don't mind Wogan or O'Grady either. Think it's a really good format for a show. Imagine if they brought it back now though, Blankety Blank with your host ... Vernon Kay!

Challenge comes up with some good stuff at times. On the other hand, I found myself watching Strike it Lucky the other week. Christ that was a grim show.

Blumf

Alberon

He was very good on that. What always stuck in my mind was the time when a contestant gave a particularly daft answer and he grumbled at them "I've got to go all the way over there[nb]pointing to the panellists[/nb] for that!"

Glebe

He was bloody fantastic on it, worth watching just for him. Mind you, I should really have been out doing normal things at that age of a Friday night, rather than watching Blankety...

biggytitbo

This was just amazing, one of Les' finest hours. It's as subversive as Shooting Stars and probably just as funny.

biggytitbo

On the first Les episode he says , 'Terry, I promise to keep this show at the high level of asininity  that you created'.

Which is wonderful, what other game show host uses the word asininity?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Deanjam on November 15, 2013, 02:41:24 PM
found myself watching Strike it Lucky the other week. Christ that was a grim show.

I remember watching that as a kid and wishing they would get on with the show and enough of this talking bollocks at the start bit.

Barrymore - "So tell me a bit about yourself. oooh you're a builder"

Me (at home) - *Groan*   "Get on with it"

Deanjam

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 15, 2013, 06:46:03 PM
I remember watching that as a kid and wishing they would get on with the show and enough of this talking bollocks at the start bit.

Pointless is the worst offender for that now. Waffle, waffle, waffle ...

Glebe

Quote from: Deanjam on November 15, 2013, 06:58:45 PM
Pointless is the worst offender for that now. Waffle, waffle, waffle ...

*serious Pob face* "Well done anyone else at home if you got that."

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 15, 2013, 06:46:03 PM

Barrymore's banter with the contestants was at least a third of the show. If you saw an old couple was on you could turn over for 15 minutes safe in the knowledge you wouldn't miss anything because he'd still be pissing about with them.

Dawson was great and even O'Grady did all right. That act of being fed up with some of the answers worked well with the format.

biggytitbo

This is wonderful. Someone just won a teach yourself Esperanto kit in the final round.