News:

Get ready for Christmas :-D


Talking Heads

Started by MoonDust, August 11, 2016, 10:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

August 12, 2016, 05:44:00 PM #60 Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:56:53 PM by Absorb the anus burn
Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on August 12, 2016, 03:22:42 PM
I think the early CD masters of the TH back catalogue are very poor, there may be tons of things you're missing because they are virtually inaudible. Some guy on YouTube has transferred the MiniDisc versions of their albums to Flac, and uploaded them in full - RIL and FOM are virtually unrecognisable and i love them more than ever.

The downmixes........ They are amazing!

Just listen to the crispness of 'I Zimbra' on even this low rate video of 'Fear Of Music'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy0y8x4iLZw

They are actually 5.1 DVD 'brick box' mixes that have been skilfully 'flattened' into stereo. They are not official, but extremely well done, although if you have a 5.1 setup, you can get even better results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVBaF0HopQ

In the above downmix of Remain In Light, 'Born Under Punches' opens up massively - you can hear both bass lines clearly. They were performed by Tina Weymouth and most likely Eno.... When they played this song live, it was the late Buster Cherry Jones who played the second bass in the 1980 expanded line up shows (such as cd 2 of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads)

The video you are talking about is 'Sax And Violins' - Jerry and David rotating slowly singing a song which feature in a Wim Wenders film.

colacentral

The Name of This Band is amazing, and I'd echo what's been said about it making some of the album versions sound weak in comparison. Pulled Up, The Big Country, Animals, and Air all sound much better live. The outro to Animals is particularly quite a bit different and superior in my opinion.

Bingo Fury

These downmixes are revelatory! I listened to a couple of the YouTube tracks, then downloaded the FLACs via the link. I thought I knew these tracks really well, but I'm noticing things I've never heard before. Mind you, I've only ever listened to Talking Heads studio recordings on vinyl, so that's probably a massive factor. There are some aspects of the mixes I don't like - some of the backing vocals on Remain In Light are way too low, and the balance of the instruments on I Zimbra is a bit jarring. But the clarity is fantastic. As I say, I can't compare them to the CDs, but I feel like I'm hearing these songs in 3D for the first time, and that's not a sensation I've generally experienced when when I've upgraded from a vinyl record to a CD.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Bingo Fury on August 13, 2016, 02:38:55 AM
These downmixes are revelatory!

Totally! I own the 5.1 release of Fear of Music and heard all kinds of previously unnoticed things when I played it, but generally we weren't using the extra speakers very often so we unhooked all but two of them and since then I've only listened to the regular CD version.

Hearing all the albums again with those details made clearer and the instruments separated a bit more in the mix is fantastic and I'm probably gonna spend the whole day comparing how the tracks sound.  The drums on Electric Guitar in particular sound completely different, like some sort of proto-triphop type thing.

August 13, 2016, 05:57:27 PM #64 Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:17:55 PM by Phoenix Lazarus
Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 12, 2016, 05:44:00 PM
The video you are talking about is 'Sax And Violins' - Jerry and David rotating slowly singing a song which feature in a Wim Wenders film.

It's not that video I recall.  The video I saw had all of them standing side-by-side in a room as an overhead shot showed them all revolving on the spot via their own movements, not a revolving dias or camera shot.  The film was speeded up and the room was lit with coloured light.

Absorb the anus burn

Ah, sorry - then it's The Lady Don't Mind (Jim Jarmusch directed.)

samadriel

Quote from: Danger Man on August 11, 2016, 07:57:47 PM
Save 50 minutes of your life by only listening to Mr. Jones when you get to the Naked LP. The other tracks aren't worth the effort.
Ruby Dear is excellent.

MoonDust

Well I listened to half of the songs on Absord the anus burn's list of songs, and listening to Remain In Light as I type.

I love what I hear so far! So thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Also, as has been mentioned, I'm going to listen to these studio albums before listening to TNOTBITH, lest I hear the studio versions and not think they're as good.

Looking forward to it!

popcorn

They were an extraordinary live band, and others have said the Rome performances are stunning.

BUT: I never heard a live version of Once in a Lifetime that was up to snuff. There are lots of good versions, nice versions, fun versions, but they never quite sound right. For me it's a studio song. It needs that pristine sparkle. It's like it's part of the themes of the song - beautiful house, large automobile - it needs to sound like a polished luxury product for it to work.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on August 15, 2016, 03:06:14 PM
They were an extraordinary live band, and others have said the Rome performances are stunning.

BUT: I never heard a live version of Once in a Lifetime that was up to snuff. There are lots of good versions, nice versions, fun versions, but they never quite sound right. For me it's a studio song. It needs that pristine sparkle. It's like it's part of the themes of the song - beautiful house, large automobile - it needs to sound like a polished luxury product for it to work.

Yep I'd agree with that although Byne's preacher act from Stop Making Sense is great.  Generally I would say that Remain In Light has a bit of a unique sound to it in the studio, unlike Once In a Lifetime I do preffer most of the live versions but the studio ones do have a mechanical density to them.

Some of the stuff on Fear of Music(especially Life During Wartime) really benefits from the extended lineup live.

Absorb the anus burn

Bumpity Bump.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Stories-Film-David-Byrne/dp/B07GW4FBNL/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1543173349&sr=1-1&keywords=true+stories

True Stories: The Complete Soundtrack [VINYL]

Disc: 1

  1. Road Song - David Byrne, Meredith Monk
  2. Freeway Son - David Byrne
  3. Disco Hits! - David Byrne
  4. Cocktail Desperado - Terry Allen & The Panhandle Mystery Band
  5. Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads
  6. City of Steel - Talking Heads, Tommy Morrell

Disc: 2

  1. Mall Muzak - Carl Finch
  2. Dream Operator (feat. Annie McEnroe) - Talking Heads
  3. Love Theme from True Stories - David Byrne
  4. Brownie's Theme - David Byrne
  5. Dinner Music - David Byrne, Kronos Quartet
  6. Puzzlin' Evidence - Talking Heads, John Ingle & The Bert Cross Choir

Disc: 3

  1. Glass Operator - David Byrne
  2. Hey Now - Talking Heads, St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School Choir
  3. I Metal Buildings - David Byrne
  4. Love for Sale - Talking Heads
  5. Soy de Tejas - Esteban "Steve" Jordan
  6. Buster's Theme - Carl Finch

Disc: 4

  1. Festa para um rei negro - Banda Eclipse
  2. Radio Head (feat. Tito Larriva, Esteban "Steve" Jordan & Los Vampiros) - Talking Heads
  3. Papa Legba (feat. Roebuck "Pops" Staples) - Talking Heads
  4. People Like Us (feat. John Goodman) - Talking Heads
  5. City of Dreams - Talking Heads, Tommy Morrell

This was how the album was intended to be...... Tempting.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: popcorn on August 15, 2016, 03:06:14 PM
They were an extraordinary live band, and others have said the Rome performances are stunning.
I know it's incredibly shallow of me to say so, but I remember watching the Rome show (I assume it's the one from the Remain in Light tour) and spent the whole thing fixated on Tina Weymouth whenever she was on camera, looking stunning in this white dress. Thankfully, the director felt the same way and seemed to use any opportunity to have her in shot.

AnthonyJ

There's also a blu-ray of the film coming out over here in January which has a CD of the soundtrack in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K4XTLMC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on November 25, 2018, 07:19:11 PM
Bumpity Bump.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Stories-Film-David-Byrne/dp/B07GW4FBNL/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1543173349&sr=1-1&keywords=true+stories

True Stories: The Complete Soundtrack [VINYL]

Disc: 1

  1. Road Song - David Byrne, Meredith Monk
  2. Freeway Son - David Byrne
  3. Disco Hits! - David Byrne
  4. Cocktail Desperado - Terry Allen & The Panhandle Mystery Band
  5. Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads
  6. City of Steel - Talking Heads, Tommy Morrell

Disc: 2

  1. Mall Muzak - Carl Finch
  2. Dream Operator (feat. Annie McEnroe) - Talking Heads
  3. Love Theme from True Stories - David Byrne
  4. Brownie's Theme - David Byrne
  5. Dinner Music - David Byrne, Kronos Quartet
  6. Puzzlin' Evidence - Talking Heads, John Ingle & The Bert Cross Choir

Disc: 3

  1. Glass Operator - David Byrne
  2. Hey Now - Talking Heads, St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School Choir
  3. I Metal Buildings - David Byrne
  4. Love for Sale - Talking Heads
  5. Soy de Tejas - Esteban "Steve" Jordan
  6. Buster's Theme - Carl Finch

Disc: 4

  1. Festa para um rei negro - Banda Eclipse
  2. Radio Head (feat. Tito Larriva, Esteban "Steve" Jordan & Los Vampiros) - Talking Heads
  3. Papa Legba (feat. Roebuck "Pops" Staples) - Talking Heads
  4. People Like Us (feat. John Goodman) - Talking Heads
  5. City of Dreams - Talking Heads, Tommy Morrell

This was how the album was intended to be...... Tempting.

Absorb the anus burn


TheMonk

Recently caught David Byrne's show. There's a thread for it somewhere else I think.
Amazing stuff. Has not lost a skeric of his vocal range. 100% commitment from everyone on stage.
The Talking Heads songs were far and above the highlights.
No chance a reformed modern dayTalking Heads could ever match the energy displayed.

famethrowa

Quote from: TheMonk on November 30, 2018, 03:25:58 AM
100% commitment from everyone on stage.

That's the really gripping thing about watching Stop Making Sense these days. Just the sheer passion, not contrived or forced, but everyone is just so devoted to what they're doing and loving it. Nowadays you get bands staring at their iPads or autocues, or Coldplay clones hunched over their instruments and falling asleep. Get rid of em

Custard

Quote from: famethrowa on November 30, 2018, 04:51:47 AM
That's the really gripping thing about watching Stop Making Sense these days. Just the sheer passion, not contrived or forced, but everyone is just so devoted to what they're doing and loving it. Nowadays you get bands staring at their iPads or autocues, or Coldplay clones hunched over their instruments and falling asleep. Get rid of em

Just wanted to say how much I agree with this post. So very true

Stop Making Sense is pure joy. I seriously think it's as great as music gets, or any artform come to that. Just a band at the absolute peak of their talent and powers having a whale of a time

I've only really got into Talking Heads the past few years, and they were such an incredible band. Life affirming

They've just received the Ultimate Music Guide magazine treatment, and I've been pounding through my copy today. Nice to see a new interview with Chris Frantz. Anyone read his book yet?

Famous Mortimer

For people on this forum, you could do much worse than listen to "You Talkin' Talking Heads To My Talking Head?", the podcast from Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott. They had Jerry Harrison on to talk about "Stop Making Sense", and he even played along with their conceit that he is, in fact, George Harrison. Good stuff (and sorry if you all already know this).

The Mollusk

Quote from: famethrowa on November 30, 2018, 04:51:47 AM
That's the really gripping thing about watching Stop Making Sense these days. Just the sheer passion, not contrived or forced, but everyone is just so devoted to what they're doing and loving it. Nowadays you get bands staring at their iPads or autocues, or Coldplay clones hunched over their instruments and falling asleep. Get rid of em

ok boomer 😂

TheMonk

Talking Heads fans, gettaloadofthis that popped up on YouTube yesterday.
Great stuff.
https://youtu.be/2IWX4QHUA30

Does 'This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)' have some unintentional similarities with 'Rip It Up' by Orange Juice?

Pauline Walnuts

As it's been bumped, can I re-recommend Vivian Stanshall's Men Opening Umbrellas ahead album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcd-_c8kt4w&list=OLAK5uy_nRTjCCMrzZNLxWZ-TauFtFBGGoRr0A2Hs

PaulTMA

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 05, 2021, 05:11:06 PM
Does 'This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)' have some unintentional similarities with 'Rip It Up' by Orange Juice?

I always felt Bowie nicked Never Let Me Down's "danced a little dance till it made me cry" line from Rip It Up

Johnboy

love the Heads

the remastered Name of This Band cd with all the extra tracks sounds amaze balls

phantom_power

Best live album ever. I am not normally a fan of them but lots of the songs on it are better than the originals

The Culture Bunker

There's some great footage of a 1980 gig in Rome on youtube, the expanded line up including Adrian Belew, Bernie Worrell and Buster Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U

You may well end up falling in love (or more so, if already) with Tina Weymouth if you watch it, though, even if you don't usually fancy women.

buttgammon

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 07, 2021, 08:50:24 AM
There's some great footage of a 1980 gig in Rome on youtube, the expanded line up including Adrian Belew, Bernie Worrell and Buster Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp2qhoop9U

You may well end up falling in love (or more so, if already) with Tina Weymouth if you watch it, though, even if you don't usually fancy women.

I absolutely love this set, it's just so full of energy, especially from Crosseyed and Painless onwards.