Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite obscure local slang

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 09, 2019, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 11, 2019, 03:58:44 PM
Is it Bristolians who use "Gurt lush"? I like that.

Yes, but less and less - it's been falling out of fashion for quite a while and a lot of Bristolians younger than 30 don't use it, and many of those haven't even heard of it before.

Pingers

I forgot "mashing" which in Sheffield is the act of making a pot or a cup of tea: "Ah've just mashed". Gives rise to "a reyt bag o' mashings" meaning a proper assortment.

Also, your grandmother is your nanan, but only in Sheffield as far as I can tell. Certainly not anywhere else in South Yorkshire, where she's your nana.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

holyzombiejesus

I love 'nowty'. Is 'seeing your arse' (in a strop) a regional thing or is it nationwide?

Also, I have friends from Flint and they use the word 'burmo' to describe something that tries really hard to be fashionable but never will be, like Next.

hummingofevil

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 11, 2019, 08:27:21 PM
I love 'nowty'. Is 'seeing your arse' (in a strop) a regional thing or is it nationwide?

Also, I have friends from Flint and they use the word 'burmo' to describe something that tries really hard to be fashionable but never will be, like Next.

I can't quite do justice to "seen yer arse" in writing as it needs that Wrexham town centre accent to really make it sing. Could be NE Wales thing.

It's sister saying "I wuz ohright till I seen yo" is another mangling of language I only hear in Wrexham.

The Culture Bunker

One I remembered, but I suspect may also be common in the North East, is "hoying ya ring" as in vomiting to a very extreme degree.

"I was fucked last night, ars'say, marra."
"Ya wuz hoying ya ring, aye?"

I remember one from Cleator Moor where a terrible haircut or hat was described as a "clip".

"Look at the clip on that cunt!"

hummingofevil

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 11, 2019, 09:04:34 PM
One I remembered, but I suspect may also be common in the North East, is "hoying ya ring" as in vomiting to a very extreme degree.

"I was fucked last night, ars'say, marra."
"Ya wuz hoying ya ring, aye?"

I remember one from Cleator Moor where a terrible haircut or hat was described as a "clip".

"Look at the clip on that cunt!"

Again both correct. Hoy just generally means throw.

Long shot but anyone here got any knowledge of speaking French in Marseille. I've stumbled across the word "Fada" which i think is a general nickname for people or things from Marseille but I think it might also mean crazy and can't work out of the headlines in France Football about which usage they are using in reference to Balotelli (both possibly).

buzby

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 11, 2019, 08:49:57 PM
I can't quite do justice to "seen yer arse" in writing as it needs that Wrexham town centre accent to really make it sing. Could be NE Wales thing.
Common in Liverpool too, similar meaning to 'got a cob on'. On a related note, we have 'face like a wet Echo/like a burst welly'.

Ray Travez

someone I knew would say 'face like a slapped arse'

alan nagsworth

Saying "mom" instead of "mum" - something I've been widely derided for on this forum over the years - seems to be strictly limited to very select parts of the West Midnlands. My home town Tamworth is one, as are places like West Bromwich and Walsall, but other nearby places like Burton-on-Trent and Derby do not, and absolutely nowhere else in the country does it. I've always found that really odd.

The Culture Bunker

Certainly I would say "seen his/her/your arse" is a common expression across the North West of England to mean someone who has been showed up somehow. Always assumed it was an Emperor's New Clothes type thing - ie they're so humiliated it's like they're bollock naked.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Ray Travez on March 11, 2019, 10:15:58 AM
Nowty- someone who is both moody and aggressive. Manchester, possibly obselete.

Knew someone 25 odd yes ago who used that, also mithering to keep pestering for something

alan nagsworth

Yeah, "mithering" is one my nan still uses!

Another I've not heard in years is "rigmarole" (see also, "palaver") meaning a lengthy, tiresome procedure. I just looked up the etymology and it appears it comes from "ragman roll":

QuoteAny of a collection of legal documents in which the nobility and gentry of Scotland subscribed allegiance to King Edward I of England

Cute.

One that's native to Shropshire and the black country which made its way to Tamworth was "round the Wrekin", which means taking the long way around (the Wrekin is a big hill in Shropshire). If your taxi driver went an indirect route you'd say "£6 it cost me! Cunt had me going right round the Wrekin."

The Culture Bunker

Thought of another one (again) from growing up: "vanya", as in nearly.

"That arsehole vayna clipped me in his Capri!"

im barry bethel

Another one that's just sprung to mind is mardy, along the same lines as nowty but a bit more aggressive you n it's use "ya mardy arsehole"

Edit: another one to tie in with mithering was leathering, "if I kept mithering me mam for sweets like that I'd get leathered

alan nagsworth

I always thought "mardy" quite widely known since Arctic Monkeys made a hit out of it, but down south it doesn't seem as recognised. "Having a brat mard" was common back home to describe a temper tantrum.

Jockice

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 11, 2019, 11:44:11 PM
I always thought "mardy" quite widely known since Arctic Monkeys made a hit out of it, but down south it doesn't seem as recognised. "Having a brat mard" was common back home to describe a temper tantrum.

Yeah, I had to explain to a relative in Scotland what it meant. Crabbit arse basically.

Jockice

Quote from: im barry bethel on March 11, 2019, 11:14:30 PM
Knew someone 25 odd yes ago who used that, also mithering to keep pestering for something

My favourite Fall song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgA6v3DORY4

popcorn

When I lived in Norwich my driving instructor if I'd managed to pick up any of the local twang yet and it was only later that I realised this did not mean women.

Cuellar

No obscure local slang from St. Albans, as far as I can tell.

rasta-spouse

I've heard people say tatty bye, and have liked it.

ToneLa

I don't know if it's just local but I absolutely love getting, being, and describing my drunken self as banjaxed

Mr Banlon

West/North West London :
What's the koo ? (What's been going on)

Lordofthefiles

Getting hit in the "knackers".
N/E England

ToneLa

buzby

Quote from: ToneLa on March 12, 2019, 10:38:01 AM
I don't know if it's just local but I absolutely love getting, being, and describing my drunken self as banjaxed
Irish, innit (it also appears in Waiting For Godot). There used to be an irish folk band who played the pubs in Liverpool (on Sunday afternoons The Dart, which used to be on Gildart St, where a lot of the Irish Republican community hung out after the Irish Club closed) ) called Banjax.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 12, 2019, 10:36:30 AM
I've heard people say tatty bye, and have liked it.

Shit version of 'tarrarabit'.