Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veep - last season

Started by Mobius, April 10, 2019, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasman

Farewell, Veep! Agree with the loyalist; it stayed good-to-great and stuck the landing. It got a little broad and on the nose with the Trump stuff, and the paragraph-long swears grated, but the finale was basically perfectly concieved otherwise. The very last scene with Gary was genuinely poignant and affecting, too, which took me by surprise. Nice going. Saw most of the cast on Colbert the other day, and they seem like a fun bunch. Veep is one for the "must rewatch soon" pile, definitely.

Also very pleased to open a much-deserved second page of this thread. Show some love for Armando's baby all grown up and pimply.

BlodwynPig

Stunning and touching finale. Glad Sue got to return after the mysterious illness.

Also, from the previous episode, who would have thought you'd see Elaine Benes in a Leeds United top.

chveik

nothing much to add, it was indeed a very strong finale. rare instance of a sitcom that didn't outstay its welcolme.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2019, 01:55:44 AM
Stunning and touching finale. Glad Sue got to return after the mysterious illness.

The illness doesn't seem to be that mysterious. The actress appeared to have an addiction issue, but she's now clean. The rest of the cast had at some point removed their subscription to her social media, which hints at problems on set with her, rather than a privacy thing while she was sick.

I was happy to get Peter McNicol back, especially as his appearance last week looked a parting gift. We had Roger Furlong and Will. Vice President Doyle outlived Selina while he was two decades older than her. Ex-husband Andrew had another quick cameo.

There's now a ton of interviews with David Mandel or the cast. The writers intended the audience to side with Selina as she finally gets the upper hand with Tom James, but they deliberately had her be needlessly cruel, as a sign of things to come. Their point of reference with Gary was Fredo in The Godfather, part II. And they clearly show that the people who have cut all ties with Selina (Kent, or Catherine and Marjorie) are the ones who have thrived, while Amy lost herself in the influence game.

Moribunderast

While I would agree with those who found the show (especially this final season) to have become too cartoony, I didn't mind because it remained very, very fucking funny to me. The cast were unreal and some of the lines almost shockingly dark, even for HBO. I thought the finale was probably one of the best sitcom finales I can remember - possibly ever.  As well as tying everything up and giving a satisfying conclusion to the story and most characters, it was exceedingly funny throughout.

I will miss Richard Splatt.

backdrifter

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 14, 2019, 03:02:51 AM
Ex-husband Andrew had another quick cameo.

The late ex-husband Andrew? Must have missed that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: backdrifter on May 16, 2019, 03:35:04 AM
The late ex-husband Andrew? Must have missed that.

He was in the penultimate episode, spotted by Selina as she drives away to the airport in Oslo (having apparently survived the boat disaster and landed in Norway - or a hallucination).

Vitalstatistix

Amazing finale.

Wipe that grin-eating dick off your face!

EOLAN

A great finale. Was just pushing forward rather than getting too sentimental and going backwards, (even with the final closer).

I am extremely biased but Andy Daly was a pure delight in this episode. Loved the sinister line of "Do you want me to take care of Amy?" he said in passing to Selina. The last season had some commonalities with the post-Larry David seasons of Seinfeld as it got more cartoony but still delivered on laughs and characterisations.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They did their best to hide that Daly was in there this season, or how important his character would turn out to be. When they released a picture of the first table read for the season, they even blurred his face. We also had the feeling, because of her early appearances, that Rhea Seehorn had just a cameo, basically as Tom James' Amy for a quick visual gag, not that she would be that important during the finale.

Pointless trivia: both Michael McKean and Rhea Seehorn were in the pilot of the remake of The Thick of It, developed by Mitch Hurwitz for ABC, after Arrested Development was canceled for the first time. Iannucci called the pilot "horrible."

Selina had a quick glimpse of Andrew at Oslo, and this could have been a hallucination or a lookalike there. However, he was also there at the funeral, now wearing a moustache. While Amy is talking, he pushes Dan to the side to get out as quickly as possible without being recognized, and he has a very short line, like an "Excuse me" or a "Sorry". David Pasquesi gets actually listed among the cast for the episode.

https://twitter.com/EnjoyLifeCMO/status/1127800234191597568

BlodwynPig

Why was Daly blurred out and downplayed. He didnt have much funny in his appearances...too brief

dallasman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 16, 2019, 03:38:19 AM
Norway - or a hallucination.

Not always easy to tell the difference, lemme tellya. I had to pinch myself when I learned that the penultimate episode not only featured my old crush Sally Phillips, but was set a brief walk from where I live. I felt personally indulged by the show. Now the news is saying we're solving Venezuela too, I'm starting to think this is all a bit too good to be true.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dallasman on May 16, 2019, 08:36:47 PM
Not always easy to tell the difference, lemme tellya. I had to pinch myself when I learned that the penultimate episode not only featured my old crush Sally Phillips, but was set a brief walk from where I live. I felt personally indulged by the show. Now the news is saying we're solving Venezuela too, I'm starting to think this is all a bit too good to be true.

It's Norway or the hard way.

Loved Oslo, lovely little village. Saw a belly dancer in one of the restaurants you have there.

dallasman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 17, 2019, 01:21:16 AM
Loved Oslo, lovely little village. Saw a belly dancer in one of the restaurants you have there.

Glad to hear it. We apparently crushed it in the Eurovisions tonight too. And tomorrow (may 17th) is our independence day, so this has been a great couple of weeks all told.

EbbyVale

Just binged the season and found it marvelous; Richard III set to Yakety Sax.  What a note to go out on.  I relished the way it became more cartoony as it drew more directly from recent events--basically the more real it got, the less real it got.  Or maybe the other way around.

I'm a little surprised Selina seemed to have completely (initially) bought Andrew's demise, though, given that boat's history of fake disaster and Andrew's history of . . . well, being Andrew.

zomgmouse

The season as a whole did feel a little rushed - I wonder if they had initially planned for 10 episodes as usual and then just got 7 but still tried to fit every plot point in anyway.

That said, I loved it. Consistently very funny and excellent writing and turns of phrase. Some really poignant moments in the final episode as well. Gary Cole as Kent in particular nails his character and adds that fabulous gravitas. The final shot of Selina all alone in the office: brilliant stuff.