Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How long is it going to take Tim Smith to finish the Harp album

Started by Pingers, July 03, 2019, 10:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

Nearly 7 years so far and he's still saying there's "a long road ahead". I love Midlake pre-split, Van Occupanther is one of my very favourite albums and Roscoe is a perfect song in my book, but dear God this will either be the best album I've ever heard or not really worth the wait. I hope he's ok, but it's hard not to worry that he's gorn maaaaad and that the Harp album will be some embarrassing horror.

a duncandisorderly

tim 'cardiacs' smith? I notice that he's gone very quiet on fb, or whoever it was posting on his behalf... he was very poorly, having had a stroke & a heart attack more or less simultaneously.

Phil_A

The other one, the dude from Midlake. I was a bit confused when I saw the thread title.

The Giggling Bean

Brundle-Fly

And I was thinking about a popular brand of lager from the 1970s. OP? sort it!

Sin Agog

Accosted a dude at Glastonbury sporting a Cardiacs shirt.  He seemed terrified that someone was talking to him.  Fucking shirty shirt wearers.

a duncandisorderly

a lot of love for cardiacs among the mathrock crowd I once ran with, but I never got them. details elsewhere, but... I confronted smith in the red eye once, about a show he aborted at the garage (it was jammed to the rafters) when a rented fostex multitrack with backing tracks on it let them down. it was the third time that year I'd been persuaded to see them, & each time I thought that something of what I liked about sea nymphs, or his production of the monsoon bassoon or levitation albums, was going to help me unlock whatever it was all my mates saw in the band. but no. & on this occasion, there hadn't even been a full song, let alone a full set.
I asked him- "you had seven or eight people on stage- why couldn't you do the show without the tapes?"

& he said "the arrangements, dear boy..." & ponced a quid off me to finish paying his round.

I was told years later, after his 'thing', that there were class As involved in his heart attack, & that in some quarters this had cost him a lot of sympathy. I dunno. I'll keep trying though- I have a lot of time for kavus & co, & they hold this particular mr smith in high regard.

sorry for the thread-jacking.

(*& now I think on it, for fuck's sake what were they doing with a fostex in 1998 or whenever it was?)

Sin Agog

I just find them rather catchy.  Maybe try one of their earlier, more straight-ahead Post-Punk albums from back when they were called Cardiac Arrest?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 06, 2019, 09:14:02 PM
I just find them rather catchy.  Maybe try one of their earlier, more straight-ahead Post-Punk albums from back when they were called Cardiac Arrest?

if I can overcome the massive irony, perhaps....

Phil_A

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 06, 2019, 09:09:40 PM
I was told years later, after his 'thing', that there were class As involved in his heart attack, & that in some quarters this had cost him a lot of sympathy. I dunno. I'll keep trying though- I have a lot of time for kavus & co, & they hold this particular mr smith in high regard.

I've never heard that, it sounds like bollocks to be honest. You only had to look at the guy back in 2007-08 to see wasn't exactly in the best physical health, quite overweight and probably not taking good care of himself at all. He was heading for some kind of health crisis one way or another.

Drugs or not, if anyone says he deserves no sympathy after the shit he's been through over the last decade, they're an arsehole frankly.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phil_A on July 07, 2019, 12:51:08 AM
Drugs or not, if anyone says he deserves no sympathy after the shit he's been through over the last decade, they're an arsehole frankly.

I'm inclined to agree, & it rather threw me when the mate who said this came out with it. since then his own mrs has had a stroke, so... karma? not that I hold with such guff normally.

Phil_A

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 07, 2019, 01:00:31 AM
I'm inclined to agree, & it rather threw me when the mate who said this came out with it. since then his own mrs has had a stroke, so... karma? not that I hold with such guff normally.

The thing that gets me is only Tim's inner circle of friends would be in a position to know a detail like that, and I can't believe for a moment any one of them would suddenly turn around and start badmouthing him. That's why I think this is more likely to be a slightly unpleasant case of Chinese whispers rather than anything else.

Dirty Boy

On top of that, the first part of his post doesn't make sense... "7 or 8 of them on stage"? In the 90's?

gig list

a duncandisorderly

yeah, whatever.
were you there? that gig list is incomplete, & doesn't mention the catastrophe of that gig.

furthermore, I was quoting myself- there were certainly more than the four core members of the band on stage, though. & the show should've gone on.

& yes, the mate who related the 'class A' anecdote was in that circle, his own band had worked with smith, & he was the one kept dragging me to see them. it was his band I was seeing at the red eye when Tim had a quid off me to finish paying for a round while I quizzed him about the fostex.

Dirty Boy

Yeah, sorry for the tone of my last post i wasn't meaning it to sound as if you were making it up. My brain is mashed at the minute and this has reminded me why i don't post much anymore.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dirty Boy on July 08, 2019, 12:39:42 PM
Yeah, sorry for the tone of my last post i wasn't meaning it to sound as if you were making it up. My brain is mashed at the minute and this has reminded me why i don't post much anymore.

cheers- I don't always think before I post either. :-)

Pingers