Author Topic: Torn - text based RPG browser/phone game  (Read 8237 times)

Re: Torn - text based RPG browser/phone game
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »
on the edge of lvl 15 here, fucking anxious to go fanny round with the BIG BOYS

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
Excellent! Get saving for.the big suitcase, although I'm sure your faction has excursion perks that'll help in the interim. I didn't have any in my last faction, so the suitcase was a grind.

Don't hang around too long in foreign countries... I actually set an alarm on my phone.

Our faction now are changing all our perks from training to war mode. A war kicked off with our allies at the weekend, so we've been trying to help, and now it's getting bigger and bigger and we've got two big-ass factions coming into our territory. Everyone is stacking Xanax now in preparation. It's evidently gonna be a big war by Torn standards.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
You'll be needing this btw: https://doctorn.rocks/travel-hub/

Although it will be embedded on the travel page if you've for DoctorN extension installed.

And this: https://eski786.pythonanywhere.com/flyguide

Best place is deffo UK I reckon. Two types of plushies and a flower means there is usually some kind of stock available, without having to bother checking levels before you go. Plus it's close enough that if you're active, you're not going to be wasting natural energy.

Stock refreshes every quarter hour, the same way your happiness resets if it's above max. No guarantee there will be stock at eg half past though, it comes in when it comes in, but bear this in mind if you arrive a couple of minutes before a quarter to or half past etc.

Kryton

• Disregard the Constabulary
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
Fucked my shitty trailers off for an apartment after winning a small but decent sum on the slots. My faction have gone to war but I'm only level 3, so not sure if it's worth duffing up some cunt? Or just ignoring and beefing up in the gym?

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
Depends what your battle stats are.  If you can hit guys, hit em and leave them in the street for more XP (and faction rep), and then you'll level up quicker and get more life. Once you're L15 you can travel to oher countries and make decent money by importing flowers and plushies.

Also, it's not massively worthwhile training in the gym until you get a better place to live. Happiness is very important to gym gains early on, so you're better off renting property to be honest, and continually moving up towards a mansion or - ultimately - a Private Island. My spouse and I pay about $10 million every 10 days (plus daily upkeep up about $135,000) for a PI with airstrip,  Means we don't have to pay for flight costs, and we get to and from places quicker.  Plus my normal happiness is 4500 or so, so when I want to train I use boosters (sweets if you're poor, then moving to erotic DVDs and then up to feathery hotel coupons), then an ecstasy to double happiness, and train like fuck before happiness resets at 15 minute intervals. 

To take this further, you do a happy jump, where you stack xanax over about 30 hours, until you're at 1000 energy.   

For now though, I'd likely keep my head down and keep making money, and saving it in piggy bank or points or items.  Get a mansion rented if possible, boost happy with candy, then take an E and train all your energy.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 07:49:56 PM »
Also, talk to your fac leaders, a lot of factions will have a villa or something they can loan free of charge to members.  You can usually borrow armour and weapons from the armoury too.

This war is starting to heat up now, and apparently a lot of reporters are sniffing around, so it's likely to be in the newspaper over the next day or two. We're in an alliance of factions called Animal Kingdom, responding to an attack from MMCP, commonly known as Multimar as they're evidently full of cheaters.  Anyway, it's snowballing and we're attacking their healing factions and all sorts of shit is going on, lots of fun.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
The war ended last night, and was fucking great fun.

It's all a bit complicated, and the news article didn't really help, but essentially two of the biggest factions in the game moved to take some rackets on the map, and tried to extort smaller, mid-sized factions.

The factions are in the afore-mentioned Animal Kingdom alliance, and we all pulled together to cost the big facs absolutely billions in revive costs. They have to hire healing factions on contracts to pick them up and get them battling again.

All our guys were doing this for free, to support each other. We had a script that allowed us to request a revive, and it worked great. It also lets people call for an assist during a tough battle, so basically we zerg-rushed the fucks. More people joining a fight significantly effects the enemies defense and dexterity, and we'd also be throwing smoke grenades to give them a speed debuff.

So you'd have a swarm of low-level/noob guys piling into a fight, throwing smoke, and then getting one-hit in response, but it meant much bigger targets were able to be brought down by people who would otherwise have struggled or lost.

I died like 100 times defending our walls from 39th Street Killers, but I'd just get revived then jump back on the wall to waste their energy.

Great fun, had a blast! Got loads and loads of racing done too, seeing as you can't really fly off and leave Torn City during a war.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »
Finally threw a few upgrades into my Corsa :-D

The trick in racing is to spend as few points as you can, so you can immediately upgrade - and be competitive - when you get promoted to the next class. The Corsa is a B-class car, but is still the best choice for this particular track, even when you get to A class.

So I've been pretty conservative with upgrading my main tarmac car so far. This handful of upgrades on my Corsa should see me dominating on the other dirt tracks as well, hopefully.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 01:28:39 AM »

I made the newspaper! That's me talking in faction chat after the war, lol :-D

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
https://www.torn.com/loader.php?sid=attackLog&ID=434a70d99fb1c31efadf52091eedff4e
https://www.torn.com/loader.php?sid=attackLog&ID=db3d27bb6066ce177af45f64584954f7

Guy lost to me twice in a row, love it. Twice my account level, and a very old account indeed. Same happened yesterday with a guy who was twice my level, twice my account age, and had taken twice my Xanax. Couldn't put a finger on me because of my stat distribution, and couldn't pepper spray me because of my motorcycle helmet.

I give enemies a 25% speed debuff because of my Adult Network job too, lovely stuff. And I was on Xanax cooldown for all attacks mentioned here, so also had a 25% debuff to all my battle stats!

The jackhammer throat shot in the second attack log particularly pleased me on a very shitty day. I'd only just finished the Edu for "extra 10% damage to throat hits", after doing the "extra chance at crit hits", and they seemed to both trigger at the same time there for over 1100 damage. Lovely stuff. 

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 07:53:26 AM »
What did you get for your subscriber gifts, Goldentony?

I got a box of grenades, and my third book - first one I've started to read! Opened the box of grenades and as they blow stealth, I'll use them on inactive accounts to get my "100 finishing hits with temp weapons" merit done. 

The book doubles nerve regen for 30 days! I don't drink in game, so was worried the "dutch courage" book was actually gonna change alcohol effects, but no, this is wicked. I have a nerve bar of 67 (35 comes from my factions specials, and I unwisely put 2 merit points in, although may now dump more in for this book before I reset and max out banking interest - edu already maxed) and am never off my phone, so a full nerve regen of like 2 hours 45 minutes is lovely stuff.  I'll fly to closer countries all month so I'm not wasting nerve in the air, I guess, even though I've got all the merits done for them.

I'm three days off getting my driving license, and had planned to start straight onto drug crimes, so this will help. Most people skip them as they're impossible to do without getting jailed, therefore hurting your long-term nerve bar progress, but I want the merits and the challenge and the furstration, so I'm going for it.  I've seen too many people who regretted not doing them, eventually. 

Crimeswise, I've been doing "steal parked car" - which gives good cash when you sell at the docks, and "stealth virus", which the guides wrongly have pegged as being a 25 natural nerve bar crime.  It's really a 30 NNB crime, I've found. So my recommendation is that once you can do "jacket theft" with enough experience that you never get jailed, do those till like 2500 then switch to "thorough robbery" and then stick with that (or just jackets) until nerve bar gets to 30, and then you can go straight to "arson warehouse" which is one of the best crimes there is for building crime XP.  Need driving license for that too though.  What edu you doing at the minute GT, out of interest?  Did you get blood bags done in Biology so you can med out of hospital?

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Sugarvalves - who does all the (great) writing for Torn - is a big CM fan, as can be evidenced by today's update. He slips in some nice original content that gives a nod to CM too, great stuff.[1]

Still super addicted to this game, love it to bits.
 1. Obviously he's mixed up TDT and Brass Eye though.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »
Bumping so I can talk to myself some more X-D

Levelled up a bunch recently; level holding loses you fights due to lack of HP, and over-levelling gets you used as a chain and leveling target, but my stats have come in well in the last year, so now I'm a Celebrity Slayer, yaaaasss.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
I still log into this at least once a week, hit the gym, do a couple crimes. Haven't really engaged with it properly but Barry very kindly gave me a villa when I hit level 10. I'm now a Federal Judge who lives in a massive mansion and robs watches and beer out of people's cars.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 03:49:31 AM »
Glad to hear you're still plugging away Jerzy!

I'm still utterly hooked, it's just part of my life now. It seems like such a trivial game at first, but more and more depth really become apparent. And the whole idea of a long term game where you slowly build up over years is awesome. I'm closing in on 500 days now and am wildly addicted to it.

It's been a real godsend through the pandemic too, and really kept me sane as I've been squirreled away in my flat the whole time. I love the writing on there, I've spent a good amount of time going through 16 years of drama and wars and all sorts.

Just met some amazing, lovely people.

I did end up leaving my fac though; it felt time to move on so I could progress more, and I had taken on too much responsibility and my game was suffering for it. There was some drama too and in the end it broke my heart, but I left on good terms and am nicely settling into my new faction now.

It's a move up in the hall of fame too. Higher visibility, more random attacks and stuff like that. It's 1b battle stat minimum but they made an exception as I'm good :-) and had two friends there to vouch for my playing.

I took up professional mugging and even buy mugging (one of the most hated things by noobs and a lot of players lol), and mugged my first billion! So I'm progressing again and plugging away every day at the long game, setting up my investments and such.

One of the greatest sandbox games of all time.

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 06:53:11 AM »
I’ve been playing this about two years but I’m only level 22. Why is it so slow? There no way to see how experience works.

I’m sick of unstable companies hiring and firing or dying, and losing in fights to people who are lower level than me.

Oh and getting mugged is a nightmare and losing money is a vicious circle so I can’t by a property that has a safe in it.

I’ll keep plugging away but  can anyone do an honest crim a favour?

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Experience being hidden is part of the design, to keep you surprised. A lot of the game is deliberately oblique.

You should look at Baldrs basic advice perhaps: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=16034448&b=0&a=0 great tutorial

Companies will fire you if you're not active, because then you negatively impact their company. This basically means you need to be online once a day, and doing at least a few crimes or training in the gym, so the game knows you're not a bot or multi.

Activity is a big thing in the game. If you want XP then pretty much everything does give you some in varying amounts, but attacking targets and leaving them in the street is probably the best. The guide above has easy, high level targets to hit.

People level hold, so eg you can hold at level 1 and that will lock away many of the facets of the game, but you can still develop your battle stats independently. Levelling up gives you more life, which is crucial in wars and stuff, but you can be very strong at any level. A lot of people level hold to bait free defends so you need to learn how to read targets. There's a Tampermonkey script which estimates stat ranges, as seen in my pic above, and you can look at their Xanax taken etc. I take 3 Xanax every day and train all that e, plus never let my bar get full so I don't waste any.

You have two real options with money: get in a faction - again, you'll need to be online once a day really - or store your money in items, as those can't be mugged. Muggers will come back again and again to milk people, unless you hide your money.

So you buy eg points from the points market - and can sell them back to the pawn shop safely when required - or you buy Xanax from the item market, cheap cars etc. Depends how much cash you have. Cars can be sold to the system at the docks.

I store my cash in my faction vault - my bank is almost at 2b now, I top that up as the interest is very good. Eventually I'll upgrade a little palace I have with a vault, just for more independence.

Barry Admin

• Fuck your shit tea
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 08:13:25 AM »
Fucking hell another dirty bomb just went odd, that's like about 11 this year 😂 we were convinced it was gonna land on us, as the CM used to own the fac we're in, and he just sold his DB to an anonymous bidder at the weekend. The big facs are losing Ron's of respect from all this and a DB costs like 25-40b.

I see a couple of new signups on my referral, gimme a shout if you see any help with stuff, it can be very confusing at first.

Tags: