Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Q: This quiz doesn't follow through on its basic premise

Started by Jerzy Bondov, January 20, 2020, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 20, 2020, 08:13:09 PM
A: What is Jeopardy!?

Alright Jeopardy! is the quiz show where you are given an answer and must provide the question. Isn't it? But whenever I've seen clips or mentions (never actually watched it), it's always stuff like this:

- This US President took office in 1993 and is famous for getting a good nosh
And you have to say "Who is Bill Clinton?" as your answer.

But that's not how a quiz question goes is it? If someone asked "Who is Bill Clinton?" you wouldn't answer like that. It doesn't work. Doesn't make sense.

And so, after fifty six years, I must announce that Jeopardy! has been cancelled, by me, and I don't want to speak of it again.

Why's there never been a British version?

JesusAndYourBush

I've always thought that 'not a proper question' thing was a poor format, but when you try to come up with a question that grammatically fits the answer it's not easy to do in that split second, so there'd be awkward long pauses each time someone has to work out how to phrase the question properly.  It wouldn't work.  It's just as well there's not been  a British version, it'd be terrible.  I've seen the Dutch version which was called "Vraagstuk".  (Google translate tells me that means "Question".)

Shit Good Nose

I guess if there was to be a British version it would be called something like Have You Got The Question? and be presented by Dale Winton.

Maybe that's why there hasn't been a British version.  Unless any of you know why there hasn't been a British version?

Rolf Lundgren

I watched a bunch of them not long ago and got quite into it. The central conceit is rubbish yeah but the range of questions is strong. It's funny how the contestants are expected to have decent knowledge of subjects like opera, ballet and the Bible, three subjects for example barely touched upon in British quiz shows.

The whole atmosphere is very genteel too. From one of the best quiz theme tunes ever to the gentle encouragement from Alex who also explains things like he's talking to his elderly grandmother. "The subject is Back in "Black" and black is in quotation marks which means every answer will contain the word 'black'". Yeah we know Alex, it happens every bloody show.

Famously no British version of course. There was only room for one quiz show with a big set of video screens and that honour went to Small Talk with Ronnie Corbett.

Jerzy Bondov

Didn't Wipeout have a big load of screens as well? They never did an American version of that, presumably as payback for our snubbing the Jeopardy format.

touchingcloth

Famous Mortimer

Sounds like the sort of show that would benefit from being remade in Britain.

kngen

Can I just shock you? I really like Jeopardy. The 'answer in a form of a question' thing is daft, but it's the best actual quiz show with properly difficult questions I've seen since 15 to 1 (the college football rounds can get to fuck though). The recent Greatest of All Time shows had me shouting 'Oh, fuck off' at how speedy some of the responses were to really complex questions. And Alex Trebek is the consummate host - I'll be genuinely sad when he dies.

Of course, there is a sentimental aspect to this, as I associate it with moving to the US because there has never, ever been a UK version.

touchingcloth

Quote from: kngen on January 22, 2020, 01:35:30 PM
Can I just shock you? I really like Jeopardy. The 'answer in a form of a question' thing is daft, but it's the best actual quiz show with properly difficult questions I've seen since 15 to 1 (the college football rounds can get to fuck though). The recent Greatest of All Time shows had me shouting 'Oh, fuck off' at how speedy some of the responses were to really complex questions. And Alex Trebek is the consummate host - I'll be genuinely sad when he dies.

Of course, there is a sentimental aspect to this, as I associate it with moving to the US because there has never, ever been a UK version.

I asked an American friend about the format since this thread started, and their response backs up the interesting nature of some clues:

Quote...for instance, in the greatest of all time tournament there was a category of "triple rhyme time" where your answer has to be three rhyming words.

For 800 bucks:

A: A congenial game bird under glass as a gift.
Q: What is
Spoiler alert
a pleasant pheasant present
[close]
?

I like that. I should watch some.

amateur

I'd probably have given this a go if they'd ever made a UK version.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 21, 2020, 07:24:18 PM
Didn't Wipeout have a big load of screens as well? They never did an American version of that, presumably as payback for our snubbing the Jeopardy format.

You're quite right, Wipeout did have a big load of screens as well.

I suppose Wipeout was a British version of Jeopardy except it differed in format, rules, host, theme tune and gameplay but they did both have three contestants.

the

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 22, 2020, 06:41:00 PMI suppose Wipeout was a British version of Jeopardy except it differed in format, rules, host, theme tune and gameplay but they did both have three contestants.

Wipeout was a British version of Wipeout.

I know where they got all the sound effects from in Wipeout but I'm not telling

beanheadmcginty

One thing I've noticed about quizzes in America is that loads of their questions are about corporations, advertising slogans etc. Not surprising really, but noticeable.

the

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 22, 2020, 09:51:11 PMOne thing I've noticed about quizzes in America is that loads of their questions are about corporations, advertising slogans etc. Not surprising really, but noticeable.

It happens on British TV too. Watch an episode of Tipping Point, a certain percentage of the questions are surreptitious adverts disguised as questions - about a slogan, or when a brand was launched, or 'who became the face of (company)', etc.

the

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 22, 2020, 06:37:27 PMA: A congenial game bird under glass as a gift.
Q: What is a pleasant pheasant present?

I don't understand the "under glass" bit, surely that 'answer' would work without it?

paruses

Quote from: the on January 22, 2020, 09:58:26 PM
I don't understand the "under glass" bit, surely that 'answer' would work without it?

Agreed. Surely it should be a translescent (my word) pheasant present.

You can see why there is only a US version of the game.

touchingcloth

Quote from: the on January 22, 2020, 09:58:26 PM

I asked my correspondent that, and apparently they do that kind of thing often "to throw you off". I'm trying to work out whether "under glass" lends itself to rhymes with some of the other clue in the same way that the Wall rounds in Only Connect have lots of red herrings, but it seems like it's just there to complicate the journey to the answer.

JesusAndYourBush

C_Larence

It's the greatest game show going. The efficiency with which it speeds along is unlike any other show. There's no jokey monologue at the beginning, Alex Trebek just comes out and says let's play some fucking jeopardy, and then they do. I imagine that there are a lot of ad breaks, because it's american, so that probably slows it down if you watch it live, but they don't have any adverts on netflix which is where i watch it. The only bit I'd get rid of is when Trebek talks to the contestants in the middle of round 1. Nobody has ever told an interesting anecdote on jeopardy.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: C_Larence on January 23, 2020, 12:18:17 PM
Nobody has ever told an interesting anecdote on jeopardy.

The only one I remember, someone who collected the little plastic tables that go inside a takeaway pizza box to hold the lid off the cheese. Guessing that was a brilliant troll of the personal anecdote segment.

QDRPHNC

Alberon

If only there was someone like him here then maybe we could have a UK version.

kngen

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 22, 2020, 06:37:27 PM
I asked an American friend about the format since this thread started, and their response backs up the interesting nature of some clues:

I like that. I should watch some.

Yeah, it was that round in the GOAT shows that had me shouting 'Oh, fuck off!' at how quickly they were answering them - basically as soon as he stopped asking the question, and I'm mumbling 'umm ...grouse ... something ... spouse?'

Ray Travez

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 20, 2020, 10:19:51 PM
For the same reasons the US has never had a version of Golden Balls with Jasper Carrott, I'd imagine. Too shit.

Nah. Golden Balls with Jasper Carrott was the tits. I especially liked how the rules changed for each round, and had clauses and sub-clauses that had to be explained in detail. All leading up to some unrepentant lying cnut robbing all the cash at the end.

the

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. </Bill Lumbergh>  The two worst, most tedious gameshows of all time are Golden Balls and The Weakest Link.

Any show where the supposedly 'interesting bit' is the contestants talking = a tureen of human shit.  Bitching, backstabbing and voting-off are fucking boring Take-A-Break-magazine crap.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So the worst gameshow possible would be The Weakest Balls.

Blumf

Quote from: the on January 24, 2020, 01:43:04 AM
The two worst, most tedious gameshows of all time are Golden Balls and The Weakest Link.

Fuckin' Golden Balls; Jasper Carrott found a way to make Deal or No Deal even more tedious.

DrGreggles

Fifteen to One was the best quiz show.

Cunt asks questions to cunts.
No fucking prize.

the

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 24, 2020, 11:51:22 AMFifteen to One was the best quiz show.

Cunt asks questions to cunts.
No fucking prize.

There is a prize - if you win the final don't you win something like Moses' original stone tablets or the last Dodo in existence?