Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games I can complete in an evening

Started by peanutbutter, March 25, 2020, 02:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Basically looking for a few things that I can play for 3 hours and be done with then, to burn away my evenings on work nights while working from home. Seems like damn near every game that comes out is some fucking 40 hour bastard of a thing. Ideally want something that doesn't  take a whole evening to just get started on, like.

Have played most of the acclaimed walking simulator type deals up as far as 2017 (What Remains of Edith Finch being the most recent one I think). If there's been some okay ones of those out since I'd be interested. Games with neat innovative dynamics and shit like that are especially appreciated.

Machines I've access to: PS3, 3DS, Wii U, everything older than those, a 2017 laptop.

What I've got lined up atm:
- FAR: Lone Sails
- A Short Hike
- Hypnospace Outlaw
- Untitled Goose Game
- DJ Hero (whenever the controller arrives)

Some ideas for low-spec multiplayer games I can force some friends to play would be neat too. Ideally ones that won't require my friends paying too much for too.

Jerzy Bondov

Space ghost

I don't know if your laptop can run it but if it can then Abzu. It's 50% off at the moment on steam.

Ferris

80 Days is a great little game on switch and probably a load of other platforms. You can probably do 2 runs in 3hrs

Jerzy Bondov

Every time someone recommends 80 Days I think it sounds amazing and look it up, and immediately remember that I've played it (a lot) and that it's amazing. For some reason I just keep forgetting what it's called.

bgmnts

You could possibly complete Resident Evil in an evening.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Broforce is a very fun old timey platform shoot 'em up for up to four players. I've probably sunk more time into it than most AAA efforts on the current generation.

It's available on PC and Switch, as well as PS4, Mac and Linux.

PlanktonSideburns

madhair60

beanheadmcginty

I remember completing the Ghostbusters game over the course of a fairly long evening (the modern one, although the old 8-bit one is also definitely completable in a couple of hours)

Kryton

Pink Gregory

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2020, 06:47:13 PM
Or just Metal Slug, or Metal Slug 2. The good ones.

You kidding me? The others are indeed good, but 3 is the pinnacle. 4 is where it went downhill, so lame and recycled I couldn't finish it.

Rev+

Her Story and Telling Lies can be shot through in a couple of hours, if you're up for some FMV stuff that someone will no doubt be along to argue isn't a game.

Ferris

Her Story was a bit of a slog tbh.

If it's silly FMV you're after, it's Contradiction: Spot the Liar! you want. Terrific bit of English eccentric madness. Mix of cluedo and doctor who.

Fishfinger

If you haven't played it, you might enjoy Journey. Even a first run can be completed in 3 hours. It was originally a PS3 game, but came out on PC last summer and I believe should work on your laptop. It's fairly undemanding without being trivial and has some quite unique multiplayer elements (but it's also a fine solo game).

It has an active community and some people still play it on the PS3 even 8 years on. Matchmaking, if you play online, is essentially random, and you may or may not find anonymous others joining your Journey for a time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Good shout. I've long thought Journey to be a more worthy spiritual sequel to ICO than that big pile of guff Shadow of the Colossus. I played it with a companion for most of the game and felt a genuine sense of connection with them by the end, even though the interaction is limited to making beeping noises at each other. A particularly apt game for social isolation.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 25, 2020, 02:29:56 PM
Sayonara Wild Hearts mate.
Jesus yeah! To expand on that one, would it benefit taking something beforehand for the visuals or would that just make it really stressful?

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 25, 2020, 03:07:11 PM
80 Days is a great little game on switch and probably a load of other platforms. You can probably do 2 runs in 3hrs
I've got this, it looks like something that would have an awful lot of text and click to continue stuff going on, is that not the case?

Quote from: Space ghost on March 25, 2020, 02:35:31 PM
I don't know if your laptop can run it but if it can then Abzu. It's 50% off at the moment on steam.
Somehow already have it! Wrote it off as being a bit of a weak Journey retread without playing but even that'd do me right now

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on March 25, 2020, 06:24:53 PM
Metal Slug 3.
Played this as a teen, think I used about 1000 lives to get through it but it was still pretty fun!

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 25, 2020, 08:50:07 PM
Into the Breach, for that matter.
I can remember FTL not grabbing me, but this has some pretty damn strong reviews; is it significantly different or more of the same

Quote from: Rev+ on March 25, 2020, 10:45:50 PM
Her Story and Telling Lies can be shot through in a couple of hours, if you're up for some FMV stuff that someone will no doubt be along to argue isn't a game.
Played Her Story, not gonna say it was great but the format is a pleasant way to burn through an hour or two. Would be interested to see if they've improved things with Telling Lies

Quote from: Fishfinger on March 26, 2020, 03:45:13 PM
If you haven't played it, you might enjoy Journey. Even a first run can be completed in 3 hours. It was originally a PS3 game, but came out on PC last summer and I believe should work on your laptop. It's fairly undemanding without being trivial and has some quite unique multiplayer elements (but it's also a fine solo game).

It has an active community and some people still play it on the PS3 even 8 years on. Matchmaking, if you play online, is essentially random, and you may or may not find anonymous others joining your Journey for a time.
Have done, but on a hacked PS3, have it on the Epic store so maybe I'll give it another try and see if I can get a pal.

Cheers for the suggestions guys!

Sin Agog

Seeing as how as you've done Journey, you may as well try Flower as well.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

Thomas Was Alone

VVVVVV

madhair60

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on March 25, 2020, 10:03:40 PM
The others are indeed good, but 3 is the pinnacle

The pinnacle of slow sludgy boring shit

(i'm exaggerating but it really is a boring game compared to the first two for me. sooooo sloooooow)

Pseudopath

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 26, 2020, 10:23:58 PM
Jesus yeah! To expand on that one, would it benefit taking something beforehand for the visuals or would that just make it really stressful?

The constant deaths would probably be a bit of a mindfuck, but I imagine the ending would be quite euphoric.

Rev+

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 25, 2020, 11:10:12 PM
If it's silly FMV you're after, it's Contradiction: Spot the Liar! you want. Terrific bit of English eccentric madness. Mix of cluedo and doctor who.

And if you like that, you'll want 'The Shapeshifting Detective'.  FMV detective game with the device that you can become anyone you've spoken to in order to shake out secrets they might only tell to certain people.  The killer is randomly determined at the start of the game so there's technically replay value there - there sort of isn't because it mainly involves watching the same scenes again.  It does feature the mad panto bastard who played the lead in Contradiction, though.  Every available second of his acting should be enjoyed.

Cerys

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 25, 2020, 02:05:48 PMWhat Remains of Edith Finch

Played that today.  I really wasn't prepared for the bit where you
Spoiler alert
facilitate the drowning of a baby by bouncing a toy frog off an inflatable whale
[close]

Ferris

Quote from: Rev+ on March 27, 2020, 12:39:45 AM
And if you like that, you'll want 'The Shapeshifting Detective'.  FMV detective game with the device that you can become anyone you've spoken to in order to shake out secrets they might only tell to certain people.  The killer is randomly determined at the start of the game so there's technically replay value there - there sort of isn't because it mainly involves watching the same scenes again.  It does feature the mad panto bastard who played the lead in Contradiction, though.  Every available second of his acting should be enjoyed.

How have I not played this?! Downloading it now.

Quote from: Cerys on March 27, 2020, 12:43:21 AM
Played that today.  I really wasn't prepared for the bit where you
Spoiler alert
facilitate the drowning of a baby by bouncing a toy frog off an inflatable whale
[close]

A really interesting game. One of the few that has actually left a strong impression on me after I finished it. Reminds me of another great game, The Unfinished Swan which is really worth a play through.

Spoiler alert
and the protagonist of TUFS is one of the brothers in Edith Finch, confirmed by an Easter egg in the game
[close]

Cerys

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up - I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

wooders1978

Everyone's gone to the rapture - or you could just go for an actual walk right now I suppose

evilcommiedictator

Papers Please
and
This War of Mine
although the latter is a bit bleak

Bazooka

People have found ways to complete Ocarina of Time in 11 minutes, there are no limits!