Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers game looks trash.

Started by Bazooka, June 25, 2020, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I wasn't going to be buying it anyway, but gee whiz this looks weak, gonna sell big dollar though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxuafH6E0U

As most of the comments outline it's just a generic action game from last gen with marvel character skins, bland attacks with no weight

bgmnts

There is something so inherently wrong about the modern incarnation of Thor.

Alberon

The gameplay also looks quite slow, I tend to hate action games when it feels like you're wading through treacle. Early build, but I doubt the final product will change that much.

falafel

Looks like Saints Row 4 but less fun

Mobius

Used to like those Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games but this looks unbelievably shit and lazy

The Roofdog

Had to laugh when it switched from big dramatic cutscene to actual gameplay and Thor's attacks started making little 'tink' noises like he was hitting them with a toffee hammer.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mobius on June 25, 2020, 11:35:49 PM
Used to like those Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games but this looks unbelievably shit and lazy
I played the first two, not sure if there were more, and they were a lot of fun, being able to try different sets of characters together to find out special combos. This new effort does seem a bit of nothing, though, especially given that it seems to have in production for ages.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't know if it would feel different if I were actually playing it, but I find it really hard to read what's going on. It's not obvious where attacks are coming from or if Thor is even being hurt by anything. What am I supposed to be looking at here?

Doesn't seem like much of a superhero power fantasy with Thor's hammer barely denting robots either.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 26, 2020, 01:03:41 PM
I played the first two, not sure if there were more, and they were a lot of fun, being able to try different sets of characters together to find out special combos. This new effort does seem a bit of nothing, though, especially given that it seems to have in production for ages.
Ultimate Alliance 3 came out on the Switch last year.

The Roofdog

Nobody bothered with this in the end then?

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 26, 2020, 01:06:22 PM
I don't know if it would feel different if I were actually playing it, but I find it really hard to read what's going on. It's not obvious where attacks are coming from or if Thor is even being hurt by anything. What am I supposed to be looking at here?

This is more or less what it plays like, especially if you're playing one of the characters that can fly. And those fucking robots in the trailer? They're the enemy in every level. Every level. Six decades of Marvel comic villains to play with and all you get to do is punch boring-ass robots, with the exception of
Spoiler alert
three recognisable boss characters. Three.
[close]

Bazooka

I assumed that would be the case, a few game channels on YouTube I frequent played it early access, but not really seen anyone talking about it anymore.

Bazooka

Apparently the amount of Steam players playing this dipped to as low as 1,000.  Players waiting 30 minutes in matchmaking queues, you could say it's not dead yet, but with this IP it should be one of the highest selling games in history.

Thursday

Seemed to have a decent enough initial reception, but now seems to be moving towards Anthem went now (maybe not that bad). I thought the power of the Avengers name, might at least help it through some initial problems, but we'll see. It is still early enough for them to turn it round I think.

It seems like lots of people want to make the next big "Destiny" style game, but don't try to learn from any of the lessons Bungie have learned over the years they've been making that.

Also... there's only so much space in the market to be successful in the genre of "game people play forever at the exclusion of everything" and with this I think it's also a case of most people just wanting a campaign more in the style of Jedi: Fallen Order, and aren't fussed about the post-game.

Consignia

I reckon if you want a persistent live service game that people are constantly on, you probably need to make it free to play. I think paying full price for the promise of things to come is hardly going to be easy sell.

And make it fun I guess. Having fun gameplay is probably more important to establishing a live service than a big movie/comic book license. I've heard loads of people saying how grindy the gameplay is. It's really not my kind of game to judge, but every preview I caught it appeared to have Anthem style flop written all over it.

madhair60

I liked what I played of this game's campaign (after the awful bridge section), but I will probably be selling it soon. The spectacle is nice and Kamala is a fun character, but naw.

machotrouts

Election thread:

Quote from: madhair60 on October 11, 2020, 11:36:59 AM
The spectacle is nice and Kamala is a fun character, but naw.

The Roofdog

So these same lads are dropping a Guardians of the Galaxy game that no one had heard about till yesterday and is out in 4 months. This is going to be glorified DLC isn't it?

madhair60

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 14, 2021, 09:45:34 AM
So these same lads are dropping a Guardians of the Galaxy game that no one had heard about till yesterday and is out in 4 months. This is going to be glorified DLC isn't it?

not the same lads and very visibly not the same game

it does look shonk though