Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2024, 02:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to Flatch (US remake of This Country)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, May 19, 2021, 12:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Trailer been done:

https://metro.co.uk/video/this-country-american-remake-trailer-2422059/?ito=vjs-link

Found it via a Facebook post where most of the comments seemed to be bemoaning it in a knee jerk fashion for being all American and that. Personally I didn't think it looked that bad, the trailer was a bit cringy and not that funny but from what I gather that's a problem with comedy trailers in general. I'm ambivalent to the notion of transatlantic remakes but I'd still be interested to see what they do with it - the tone and humour doesn't seem that dissimilar to the original. Would have preferred them to have cast someone a bit more gangly and weird-looking as not-Kurtan though.

phantom_power

These sorts of remakes are odd because the concept is pretty generic and it is the personalities and relationships between the main characters (and actors) that make the show. These are things that can't be replicated in a remake with a different cast

Jockice

The Big Mandy character won't be as good. But the original Big Mandy is one of my top ten comedy characters ever.

Pink Gregory

What *is* the American equivalent of 'I've got enemies in North Cerney, I've got enemies in South Cerney, I've got enemies in Cerney Wick'?

Cuellar

I won't be watching it but I hope the Coopers get stinking rich off it

SteveDave

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 19, 2021, 12:14:00 AM
Trailer been done:

https://metro.co.uk/video/this-country-american-remake-trailer-2422059/?ito=vjs-link

Found it via a Facebook post where most of the comments seemed to be bemoaning it in a knee jerk fashion for being all American and that. Personally I didn't think it looked that bad, the trailer was a bit cringy and not that funny but from what I gather that's a problem with comedy trailers in general. I'm ambivalent to the notion of transatlantic remakes but I'd still be interested to see what they do with it - the tone and humour doesn't seem that dissimilar to the original. Would have preferred them to have cast someone a bit more gangly and weird-looking as not-Kurtan though.

A perfect recreation of the original then.

Goodbye.

paruses

In terms of remake it looks like Parks and Recs: The Highschool Years or they've gone straight in at The Office (US) season 5[nb]basically not the beginning. I don't remember the detail that well[/nb] in terms of humour and the vicar / pastor seems Flanderised already.

I know Charlie Cooper was a model and Daisy May Cooper is a perfectly attractive woman but when they are in costume they look like pretty good facsimiles of the scuffers they are playing [nb]no offence intended to scuffers.[/nb] the two leads on this look far too well nourished and attractive underneath slightly naff clothes and not-very-dodgy haircuts.

Be interesting to see if it takes off massively and they become Ricky Gervaises. I suppose DMC in particular has more than just her Kerry schtick to pedal.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 19, 2021, 12:14:00 AM
Trailer been done:

Yeah, I think that a really good point about it being hard to judge from trailers. Thanks for posting about this; I wondered whether it would actually happen.

Although I did wonder how well an American version would work when I first heard the news, I was also mindful of the initial reaction at the announcement of an American version of Shameless, which I think turned out rather better than what a lot of people said would happen.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yeah, plus I remember the US version of the Inbetweeners being quite well received on here (even if it was panned elsewhere and promptly cancelled)

Jockice

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 19, 2021, 01:18:07 PM
Yeah, plus I remember the US version of the Inbetweeners being quite well received on here (even if it was panned elsewhere and promptly cancelled)

Yeah, I thought it was okay.

Mobius

Don't think that looks too awful really, considering it's a remake of a critically acclaimed English show so it'll be crap anyway, and all trailers are rubbish.

olliebean

The first 7 episodes of this are now available. I watched the first one, which is a pretty straight remake of the first episode of This Country, and found it disappointing. Didn't warm to the characters the way I did with the original. Kelly, in particular, has so obviously been deliberately cast as someone who physically resembles Daisy May Cooper, that it's impossible not to have the comparison constantly in mind while watching her, and DMC fits the role much better. I can't help wondering why they replicated Kerry's look so closely, but didn't bother with Kurtan.

Had to remind myself every single time they mentioned "doing the Skeletors" that they were actually saying "doing the skillet toss."

Will keep watching for now; that was the pilot, and it looks like further episodes may not be such direct remakes of TC episodes, so maybe it'll find its own feet and be better for it, like The Office.

Captain Z

I don't think it will be that popular, can't see it being renewed for more than 17 seasons.

mtpromises

I watched all 7 episodes the past few days and really think it's OK.  The first episode is the weakest and probably the actual pilot.  It does feel a lot like Parks and Rec or Superstore, maybe more so than This Country.

Stifler and Aya Cash need to be funnier, like the characters need to be more zany, or bunny boiler or something.  The rest of the cast I'm pretty happy with for now.

BritishHobo

The characters from this are going to appear in a crossover episode of Call Me Kat, the Mayim Bialik-fronted US remake of Miranda. Just an interesting fact for you.