Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Futurama: I'm Not Back Baby

Started by JamesTC, February 09, 2022, 10:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

what a load of fucking shit. it's not even interestingly bad shit like the pandemic one. it's just complete nonsense and it's embarrassing multiple units of talented production (voice acting, sound design, animation, etc) made it exist.

The "King of Space" framing element was basically "in-universe"/canon wasn't it? So Leela cheats on Fry? But um? was it is even a framing element as it was just a bunch of stuff? fucking hell. complete crap fuck you. feel genuinely depressed after watching it. do not recommend.

madhair60

This has been one of the worst seasons of television I've ever sat through. Worse than the Comedy Central stuff, and by far. It should never have been made and certainly not broadcast. They must know it's terrible.

Duckula

think that last one might be the worst episode of futurama which is impressive cos there's some right stinkers in there

idunnosomename

I think they know it's fundamentally different now, in that no one has any story threads they want tell about the characters or world, and why it's so heavily fallen on current events.

The last one genuinely does seem like the main plot was from AI. Come on, they deliver a macaroni portrait to the king of space, and Leela falls for the prince of space so they have a joust? They often do visit fantasy planets and can see precisely how AI would come out with it.

If the stupid simplistic plot unravelled and the characters realised they were acting oddly and they realised they were in a simulation they need to break out of, it could have been a decent idea. But no it was just padding to do some toy commercials featuring the characters and all their hilarious tropes Hermes likes beauracracy no one likes Zoidberg haha lol.

neveragain

The actual ... vignettes I didn't mind. In the same way I could enjoy an ITV panto one wet December afternoon, just recognisable faces doing silly jokes - not great but it passes the time. I also liked the structure and would even goes as far to describe it as 'fun'.

The in-episode bits were indeed poor.

The main reason it was a shame though, for me, is that I love the two animation parody episodes they've done - think the parodies are top notch - and with the commercials aspect of this it sort of defecates on their memory.

Thursday

Not watched in a while, but really enjoying this thread.

MojoJojo

It really feels like a producer has just gone - "We'll do a covid one and a Dune one. We did an animal one before didn't we? Why don't we do that, but toys instead? Yeah that will be good." Rather than letting the writers try to come up with ideas.

Thursday

I think the frustrating thing I found with what I watched, it this could at least have been enjoyable to see these characters interacting again, but there's not a trace of humanity in any of the dialogue, everyone just talks in set-ups and punchlines instead of humor that arises naturally from the characters. It's just weird everyone in the show is completely insane.

idunnosomename

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 20, 2023, 03:11:39 PMIt really feels like a producer has just gone - "We'll do a covid one and a Dune one. We did an animal one before didn't we? Why don't we do that, but toys instead? Yeah that will be good." Rather than letting the writers try to come up with ideas.
suspect there was a discussion on what they could do each episode on and then assigned the topics to writers to write up as scripts, rather than individual pitches.

there's enough subtext (well, probably, literally just text, considering the service is called FULU) in the first streaming-binge episode to see it just being just because they got given the money to do it. it's just filler to make up a contract.

the last episode was a complete fuck you. kinda funny in retrospect (as is "the King of Space" which is so hopelessly shit it's funny in isolation) but it was joyless to watch. Again can argue it's worse than generic Saturday-morning cartoon writing. Although the CG (they still use Maya I think?) still looks good, I liked the car tracks up to Saturn etc.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Thursday on September 20, 2023, 08:23:12 PMI think the frustrating thing I found with what I watched, it this could at least have been enjoyable to see these characters interacting again, but there's not a trace of humanity in any of the dialogue, everyone just talks in set-ups and punchlines instead of humor that arises naturally from the characters. It's just weird everyone in the show is completely insane.

the best case would be hand the show over to a load of woke zoomer nerds who have different frames of reference for science fiction, strong affection for the characters and low tolerance for how low and cheap the shows humour could be even in its prime

science fiction being colourful and silly was pretty rare when futurama debuted. now its a norm

g0m

i don't think it was as bad as the dune episode or the santa episode. i think i'd put it at the bottom of all the futurama three vignettes episodes though. [I'd put Reincarnation right up at the top! the comedy central seasons had some gems!]

Pink Gregory

Led Souptin

Last ep had a couple of decent jokes but doesn't do anything particularly exciting with the concept. 5/10

A real damp flannel of a comeback, this.

MojoJojo

Question: Name an unmarried woman Fry has not slept with. Who's appeared in more than one episode.

(I haven't watched a lot of the post Fox episodes, so it will probably turn out their are loads).

JamesTC

Old Nehamkin

Mom
That woman who reads the news with Morbo
That woman who says kerjigger
That judge who's the same species as Kif

Tress Mcneill sure plays a lot of characters doesn't she.

neveragain

Last episode was incredibly dull (and I like meta-textual, characters realising they're not real stuff)... However the end still gave me goosebumps. Fancy that.

Thursday

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 26, 2023, 03:18:28 PMMom
That woman who reads the news with Morbo
That woman who says kerjigger
That judge who's the same species as Kif

Tress Mcneill sure plays a lot of characters doesn't she.

I do find her utter prominence very odd. It is mostly Matt Groening cartoons, but it's not just them. Decades of her voicing multiple characters across several cartoons, and you can easily tell it's her, because the children, women, and aliens etc she voices all sound the same. I'm certainly not saying she's shit, because I think it's fine that they do, and it's not really the point to have very distinct sounding characters, but it's a bit weird isn't it? 

madhair60

I'm gonna haul ass to Lollapalooza!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 26, 2023, 03:18:28 PMThat woman who says kerjigger

remember when they did an anime and they had her say kerjiggeru desu

idunnosomename

Quote from: Thursday on September 26, 2023, 05:27:30 PMI do find her utter prominence very odd. It is mostly Matt Groening cartoons, but it's not just them. Decades of her voicing multiple characters across several cartoons, and you can easily tell it's her, because the children, women, and aliens etc she voices all sound the same. I'm certainly not saying she's shit, because I think it's fine that they do, and it's not really the point to have very distinct sounding characters, but it's a bit weird isn't it? 
its not really her fault, her range has diminished with age (as has Billy West's!) and she has to do basically every shite new female character who crops up in shite new Futurama or shite new Simpsons.

You don't go "oh another Tress MacNeille voice" in something like Brother From The Same Planet where she does Pepi but also three other small roles

JamesTC

idunnosomename

You can't remind people of good jokes in episodes of animated comedy series with interesting character-driven plots! This is the Futurama 2023 thread!

madhair60

why does it stop there?

because it's a stupid piece of JUNK

bgmnts

Just want to say series 2 and 3 of Futurama are really funny and I'm sad this is shit.

Cheers.

madhair60

you are correct, on both counts.

(series 1 is really funny too. and much of 4)

bgmnts

4 has the dog episode though, which is just far too sad.

madhair60

they retconned it in the shithouse first movie!

idunnosomename

Just wanna say Tress MacNeille is brilliant, I think Mom is one of her best roles, even if it's just an angrier Agnes Skinner, but how she switches to the sweet version is great.

She's overstretched in modern Simpsons because they never bothered to mirror the Azaria-Shearer-Castellaneta supporting male troupe with female VAs. Pamela Hayden and Maggie Roswell are a lot more limited (though still very good at what they do!). Certainly Roswell's Maude Flanders and Helen Lovejoy are basically the same, it's only that the characters are so different that you don't notice.

But that Tress is well-known to millions as both Agnes Skinner (help! HELLLPP!) and Gadget Hackwrench, the mouse you definitely had a crush on, quite an achievement

Old Nehamkin

Seymour! Do you want me to tell you when it's seven thirty?