Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Izzard as Dr Who ?

Started by Clarky Cat, March 04, 2004, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarky Cat

Can't see it myself, (but that's probably because he's not Tom Baker).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/news/20040304.shtml

Oh and Mark Gatiss is going to be one of the writers.

king mob

Noooooo Izzard would be a bad choice but i'd like to see him as a baddie in there.

I've just goy back into liking Dr Who after years thanks to picking up Talons Of Weing Chiang on DVD cheap & loved every minute of it but i still think Jon Pertwee is the best Doc.

Lets not mention Colin Baker, poor bloke was never given a decent chance i think.

Ooh ... fuckloads better than that plank Davies (I mean, he's supposed to be a thoroughly nice bloke and all that, but his acting is school play material. Is he only in the running for his Tom Baker hair?)

QuoteGatiss, especially, is a fervent fan of the Time Lord ­ and has previously written two Doctor Who novels.
Oh really. Fancy.

king mob

Quote from: "Virtually Perennially"Ooh ... fuckloads better than that plank Davies (I mean, he's supposed to be a thoroughly nice bloke and all that, but his acting is school play material.)

QuoteGatiss, especially, is a fervent fan of the Time Lord ­ and has previously written two Doctor Who novels.
Oh really. Fancy.

Davies would be a disaster, especially as the series looks good in every other aspect.
Theres a very strong campaign to get Bill Nighy to play the Doctor, i'd lgo for that.

Vermschneid Mehearties

phillippa_maul

Richard E Grant was brilliant on 'The Scream Of The Shalka', and I'd love to see him in the part!

Somehow I don't think it'd happen, but you can never rule these things out!

Mind you I thought he'd be a good Ford Prefect in HHGTTG and that didn't happen...

morgs

As long as it's not Ricky Fucking Gervais....

I'd heard David Warner was the man.  I'd go for that.  He even made the Klingons convincing!

Ambient Sheep

please please please please please not Eddie Izzard.  I shan't be watching if so.  I don't think Davies is much better, either.

Apparently David Warner's been begging them for the part (it said in SFX or Dreamwatch, I forget which, the other day).

Silver SurferGhost

Like km says, Eddie Iz would be much better suited to being a villain, although Clunes has already done
the scary tranny baddie bit in it, hasn't he?
David Warner would be fine, but Bill Nighy would make an ace Doctor, so long as he doesn't sing.

What about Chris Langham? He does a good George Orwell.

Richard E Grant meanwhile should be the new Sherlock Holmes instead of that Aussie bloke who played him last Crimble.
I mean ffs, you cast Granty in Hound of the Baskervilles and then don't let him play Holmes?

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "morgs"As long as it's not Ricky Fucking Gervais....

I'd heard David Warner was the man.  I'd go for that.  He even made the Klingons convincing!

Warner was superb as evil personified in Time Bandits and I bet he could give a unique slant as the Doctor.

Failing that how about Mike Reid? He's between jobs and could sort out the Daleks with a dry slap. Go on my sahhhn.

i think richard e. grant should be the doctor lets remember when he could get good work (withnail and i) i cry inside when i see him on the argos adverts....i'm not gay, i'm a modern man....

ozziechef

I heard Andrew Lincoln from this life and teachers mentioned the other day by a really big Dr Who fan at work, I think that'd work nicely

(the Dr Who fan wasn't happy at the thought though)

Rats

I keep saying it but edward tudor pole, that bloke on the crystal maze who wasn't richard o'brian would be great. They'll probably fuck it all up and we'll get danny baker in a scarf.

Darrell

Quote from: "Rats"I keep saying it but edward tudor pole, that bloke on the crystal maze who wasn't richard o'brian would be great. They'll probably fuck it all up and we'll get danny baker in a scarf.

Bloody hell, my friend keeps going on about him too. He'd probably be able to pull it off though.

I don't want Izzard, but I'd be fine with Alan Davies. The person I really want though is Terry Jones - he's perfect. It won't be Bill Nighy, as he's making Hitchhiker's. David Warner would be good.

We'll probably end up with Philip Schofield, with the TARDIS replaced by a twenty-five foot polystyrene arse covered in lips. And instead of Daleks - crisps.

Pinball

Why is it that TV companies like camp men so much? Is it because they're camp? They look camp to me.

Greg Dyke - camp
David Burke - camp
John Humphreys - camp
Graham Norton - :-o

Alberon

I think the Izzard rumour is old news, don't worry about it.

No one, even the producers it seems, appear to know when the new Doctor will be cast. But, Bill Nighy might be out of the running. Some rumours say he's not interested. Hitchhikers is unlikely to be the reason as he's only playing Slartibartfast and that isn't a major role.

David Warner seems to have no adversion to SF (since he's been in two Trek films and a TNG episode as well as loads of other stuff). He'd be perfect. I've also heard Derek Jacobi's name chucked about, but that might be just over-excited fan talk brought on by Jacobi appearing in that rubbish animated webcast and one of the Doctor Who Unbound audio stories recently.

king mob

Warner would be good but the actor has to be British but Nighy would be the perfect choice, Davies would a fucking disaster.
If Anthony Head was 10 years older he would be perfect.

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: "king mob"
Considering the age ranges of the previous Doctors, why do you feel he'd need to be 10 years older? I hadn't thought of him until you mentioned it and I agree that he'd make a good Doctor Who, just not sure if his age is an issue.

king mob

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"
Considering the age ranges of the previous Doctors, why do you feel he'd need to be 10 years older? I hadn't thought of him until you mentioned it and I agree that he'd make a good Doctor Who, just not sure if his age is an issue.

I would see him as older, i'm used to a older Doctor & Jon Pertwee is my ideal Doctor & Head would be great but i think the new series needs someone with an air of authority.

Though after saying that he would work with the right scripts but i think Nighy is perfect but please dont mention Davies, oh the humanity!

Joy Nktonga

I would see him as older, i'm used to a older Doctor & Jon Pertwee is my ideal Doctor & Head would be great but i think the new series needs someone with an air of authority.

As a counterpoint to the slightly more comedic values introduced after Tom Baker's departure? Definitely. I see your point.

Cambrian Times

Why don't they cast Ralph Brown, just for continuaty?

Cerys

Eddie Izzard wouldn't work, although I agree that it'd be great to see him in classic Dr Who Baddie form.  Alan Davies is too bland.  Richard E Grant is too perfect.

Vote for George Irving!

Rev

It'll be the Ecclestone.  The sooner you people come to terms with this fact, the sooner we can all get along with our lives.

Cerys

Ecclestone schmecclestone.  Much as I love the bloke, I stand by my previous post.

Irving for Doctor!

Silver SurferGhost

Does Johnny Depp know about your dalliance with this Irving fellow, Cerys?

I quite like the idea of Ecclestone now meself, he can do "wild-eyed" a treat.
I doubt he'd do it though, he'd probably get bored after a couple of months.

As for Edward Tudor-Pole of Crystal Maze and Tenpole Tudor fame, I'm sorry but I can't see him without thinking of him
doing Who Killed Bambi ? and being called "Tadpole" by Irene Handl.

Cerys

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Does Johnny Depp know about your dalliance with this Irving fellow, Cerys?

He both knows and approves, I'm sure.

Edit to add another image for my Vote George Irving campaign.  I shall continue to lobby until such time as my wishes are recognised and fulfilled by the BBC.  Although this is probably the last image I'll post, because otherwise people will get cross, which won't help The Cause.

Irving.  The Man.  The Myth.  The Doctor

king mob

I would never have thought of Irving & i'm glad someone has, he would be spot on, add my voice to the vote:)

Cerys

Yay!  That's ... erm ... threeish supporters so far!

elderford

The only way to make future generations remember Dr Who as something to be scared about is to cast Christopher Eccleston as the good doctor:

He would be excellent, I defy any of you to find fault with this suggestion. He can act and everything.

Jemble Fred

Eccleston is indeed the best actor of his generation, but my problem with him is the same as with Stephen Fry – I don't want loads of Dr Who to keep him from playing all sorts of other roles, and interesting projects.

I hate the idea of Izzard as the Doctor, but if it keeps him from doing another self-indulgently unfunny tour, then I'm all for it.